Chapter 10 - A Friend In Need

Four eyes stared at a couple sitting on a table next to their own in pure disgust. What was it with these new couples? Could they not sit anywhere without holding hands even for a second? Were they even aware of what they were eating or drinking? Amidst the cacophony of Kishore Kumar songs playing loudly, cutlery clanging against the plates and the loud chattering on each table with voices raising to be heard above the din, this young couple sat facing each other, holding hands, like nothing else existed around them.

Anjali looked at Khushi with amusement dancing in her eyes, and a second later, they were lost in a gale of giggles.

"Snog or sex? Which one do you think will it be once they leave this place?" Anjali questioned as their giggles subsided.

"God Anj, aahista bolo!" Khushi admonished her, looking around and hoping no one heard what she had just asked. She then leaned in and whispered "Snog. Body language says they aren't that close yet!" She winked, and Anjali giggled again.

With wind in their hair, and love and mischief bonding them together as kids, Payal, Anjali and Khushi had grown up to be inseparable. They had attended the same school and junior college, after which Anjali's parents had decided to move to Mumbai. The separation had brought in a lot of tears, but these three girls had vowed not to let this distance affect their friendship in any way.

"I am ordering icecream. What about you?" Anjali asked while checking out a handsome face walking inside the restaurant, followed by a pretty face. "Goddammit! They all are taken, the bitches won't leave any shows dogs alone in the market! I will die single and lonely!" Anjali said scowling at the girl who followed the handsome face to an empty table.

"Broke up with Nikhil again?" Khushi asked with a smile.

"This time it's forever." Anjali said with a grim face. "There are plenty more fish in the sea. I am so over him!"

"Of course! But I swear to God I have I heard these lines before!" Khushi said with a giggle. "And you want to finish with an ice cream in a Udupi restaurant? The owner will sue you! Did you forget that this place makes the best filter coffee in town?" Khushi asked incredulously. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"No, what the hell is wrong with you back at you!" Anjali quipped back. "You've been quiet since we have met, kya hua hain?"

"Great! A question for a question, as always! Do you even know that you can answer a question without asking one?" Khushi stole a furtive glance at her and started looking at the menu card with interest.

"Oh dear god! You are reading a menu card you know like the back of your hand, avoiding eye contact and my question! Something is seriously wrong, and I don't know how —"

"Arnav told me he is in love with me."

Khushi saw the shock register on Anjali's face for a fraction of a second, and she wanted to laugh seeing her dark black pupils dilate in a flash. But the look changed the next moment, and Anjali stood up with both her palms over her mouth in—absolute joy! Khushi dreaded her reaction and thought she was about to start jumping any moment. But the look changed again, into a frown this time, as sacred words flew out of her mouth before she could realise what was happening.

"What the blooming fuck?" Anjali screamed with all her might, leaving Khushi mortified.

"Shhh!"

Anjali was still staring at her with wide eyes, unfazed. "Has there been a flood of testosterone in the Chauhan mansion? What the hell is wrong with these two brothers? No sense of timing, I swear to god! But oh my god Chandramukhi, this is big! And why the hell are you not screaming this out to the world?"