Chapter 1 ~ Stuck In The Middle Of Nowhere

Thomas Hewitt

All rights reserved.

Copyright © RaddyMaddy

✧ ✧ ✧ ❅ ✧ ✧ ✧

Narrator's POV

Narrator's POV.

June 6, 2003.

The hot sun roasted the grassy plains of Texas. The grass danced across the field with the soft summer breeze blowing through the clear blue sky.

A red beaten up truck was rolling down the abandon dirt road, picking up the dirt along with it. 3 people were inside the red truck; sweat dripped down their salty, tan skin. The radio was playing "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses. The two parents were up in the front while the mom was fanning herself with a magazine, the dad whipped his forehead sprinkling sweat toward the little girl in the back.

The girl was reading a book, "The Grim Brothers story collection". Her brown hair shined in the sunlight as it turned into a golden brown color as it was tied up in a ponytail. "How much further to the nearest town, mama?" The girl said peering over her book. The mom was turned her head, & said.

"Not that far love." She said, smiling back.

"Well lucky for us there's a gas station up ahead. Maybe someone can give us directions." The dad said as he pulled the red pick-up truck over at a small gas station with biker bikes lined up. Everyone got out of the truck, taking in the coolness mixed in with the heat of the sun beaming down on them. The dad lifted the hood of the truck as steam blew into his face. "Ahh...damn!" The mom quickly covered the young girl's ears.

"Honey? Language!" The girl giggled as her dad covered his mouth, pretending to zip his lips.

"Sorry loves." He said.

"Well, I'm gonna go inside to buy some sodas for the road, & other stuff we might need. Maddy, would you come along with me? You can pick a treat." Maddy nodded her head, caught up with her mom as they wandered inside the station. As they walked in a cowbell above them rang through the shop. They looked around only to find no one in charge, but a couple of bikers at a table, having a few beers. The mom kept Maddy close to her as they continued walking.

"Wha can I do fa ya' ma'am, and little ma'am?" She said, giving both Maddy & her mom a warm welcoming smile. She was a middle-aged woman with bits of hair sticking out of her bun & half-moon glasses. She was wearing an old-fashioned dress that was purple & went to her ankles. She was smoking a cigarette & she had a southern accent.

"Yes, ma'am. We're just here to grab some snacks, & our truck is not working...I guess?" The lady looked out the window, saw Maddy's dad messing around with the gears in the truck, trying to fix it. She looked at them surprised.

"Your truck ain't working?"

"No ma'am." She then began to think as if she was wondering if they were worth helping. "Is there a motel around here?"