Chapter 8 ~ Place in the Family

Thomas Hewitt

All rights reserved.

Copyright © RaddyMaddy

✧ ✧ ✧ ❅ ✧ ✧ ✧

Maddy's POV.

Never in my life would I end up living with a bunch of cannibals , eating someone...becoming one. Wow...what a strange story am I gonna tell my kids in the future.

I'm sitting at the table, staring at my plate for what have used to be someone. I felt my heart pound hard against my chest, my vision became blurry as the stew & veggie merged together. I tried to blink the blurriness away, but it only made it worse; the air from my lungs was caught in my throat making it harder for me to breath. Panic swept over me, my body shaking uncontrollably.

"Are you okay, babydoll?" Luda Mae said, my eyes turned to her trying to hide the sweat drops on my forehead.

"I-I...I just need some...a-air..." I said as I excused myself from the table, trying very so calmly walk to the front door. Once I was out I bolted for the old barn, as I lean my shoulder against the wall, threw up all over the floor, fell to my knees, gulping for some air as I tried calming myself down. "How could a family that have been so kind to me, cared for me become...cannibals?" I told myself, breathing in more air.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder; I knew who the hand belonged to by it's from grip. I turned to see Thomas kneeling down on one knee. "Thomas...s-sorry for you to...s-see me like this...I-I..." I sighed heavily I felt Thomas rub small circles on my back. To be honest...it felt REALLY good. I never wanted for him to stop. Making myself comfortable I sat down, leaned my back against the barn, & gazed up to the stars. Inhaling the fresh country air, calming me down completely. Thomas did the same thing as I scooted closer to him because it was starting to get chilly. "Hammy...Do you know what I missed the most about this place, Thomas?" Thomas looked down at me. "How beautiful the night can be, feeling...free from all the problems the world has to throw at us. Do you get that kind of feeling too, Thomas?"

Thomas doesn't say anything, but nods his head in response.

✧ ✧ ✧ ❅ ✧ ✧ ✧

Thomas' POV.

As Maddy & I continued to stare at the stars I felt small fingers drawing small circles on the palm of my hand. I turned to see Maddy doing it as it send shivers down my spine, then she wrapped her hand around mine. I felt butterflies in my stomach as I felt her soft, smooth hand against mine. I never felt this way toward Maddy before?

Suddenly we were interrupted by mama when she was calling for us. Unfortunately we had to release your hands, stood up from the dirt ground, & walked back to the house. Maddy gripped onto my arm very tightly when she walked closer to the house. "I'm guessing she's still shaken up by the whole cannibal thing?" I told myself. I grabbed her hand & gave it a squeeze; Maddy looks up at me, gaze me a smile, & walked into the kitchen where mama, Uncle Hoyt, & Uncle Monty were sitting at the table.

"There you two are, I was afraid that you ran away, Maddy." Mama said.

"Why would I run away?" Maddy questioned. Mama patted an empty chair, Maddy took it as I sat at the other end of the table with Uncle Monty.

"Now child, you know our...terrible secret. What we Hewitts & Sawyers have to do to survive. Even if it means to...eat people." Mama said with a grim look on her face. I remember that look when we first started this way of life. I was only 18 when the meat factory shut down; I was the only one left working there cause...it was the only thing I knew what to do, & it was the only job I had that I enjoyed. Then one day my boss fired me, called me...some nasty things about me so I took my revenge on him by killing him. I hated him when I first started working there. It felt...good, kinda relieved also, but that action got me into a lot of trouble. Uncle Hoyt came & had to get me out by killing the Sherif & we end up eating him. After that that's how we started our cannibal killing spree.

"It's okay, Luda Mae. I think...I can handle it." Maddy said. "And besides, you've would have eaten me already." Maddy giggles a bit then looks at me. I stared deep into her sky blue eyes. Feeling the weight have been lifted off my shoulders, the air that was caught in my throat finally escaped my lips as I sighed heavily.

Things are gonna change for the better.