six

[8 years later]

Izuku had been lying.

And so had Hitoshi.

Lying to both Katsuki, and more importantly to their sister Eli.

Shoto however, had just been lying to Eli.

It seemed that the talk that their sister had given them all those years ago was very relevant. Now here Izuku was standing in the mirror looking at his new set of bruises that lined his chest and side. It was no secret that being Quirkless in a Quirk fill society was a dangerous game to play, most never living beyond the age of 40. 

They were hated, but considering everything, Izuku thought he was pretty lucky since the damage they usually did was never too bad. Though his sister knew him too well, always had, so when he did notice that they hurt a bit too much, he always made sure to steer clear of her for at least a day, never wanting to make it obvious. 

So he sighed and rolled his shoulder before putting his shirt on and exiting the bathroom.

Hitoshi sported bruises and cuts too. His were significantly less, but still there, along his chest and sides, with the addition of a cut on his hand, he got from when he fell on a rock after being pushed. People were scared of him, of what he could make them do, so they did things to him before he even got the chance.

Though, he still had a Quirk, so people came after him less than they did Izuku. He was tired, haunted by nightmares that reminded him of why his birth parents' mom left in the first place, clutching his hands in a tight fist before he released it.

Hitoshi was too scared to tell Eli too. What if she decided that he was too much for her to handle anymore? Would she make him go away? Logic told him she wouldn't, but anxiety told him otherwise.

It hurt.

A lot.

Basic hand-to-hand combat worked wonders for the two and was part of the reason they were never beat senseless. They'd fight their way out of their bullies, but then their bullies would just bring more. It was basically impossible to get out of the fights without bruises or scratches, but they patched each other up when they got home.

For years they watched as Eli worked and pushed herself just for the sake of them. There were times where she came home exhausted, and they'd find her passed out on the couch in the morning after coming home from the parlor late.

After all these years and after all that struggle, she'd been through just to take care of them. All the while in between all this work, she still somehow managed to stay very present in their lives. 

They treasured the memories of her in the crowds of their elementary graduation, how loud she cheered when Izuku learned how to skateboard, how excited she was when Hitoshi asked if she'd give him a nose piercing, or that time she punched a man twice her size because he tried to make fun of the how different they all looked despite them being sibling, which made Katsuki laugh loudly and follow her lead. 

Poor guy had his nose broken twice...

Hitoshi and Izuku were miserable, and they wanted to tell her about it. They knew they could trust her, and they knew if anyone would handle it she would. But that was the problem, she would be the one to handle it. 

They didn't want her to handle anything, they wanted her to rest. Another part of their reasons to want to be heroes; to take care of her when they do become pros, so she won't have to work anymore.

Ever since that night when the policeman came to deliver the news about their mother, her cries haunted them. They'd never seen Eli so overcome with sadness, and as kids, at the time there wasn't even anything they could really do.