XXIV. "Mom?"

XXIV.

"Will you guys hurry your asses up?" Roni yelled from inside her car, while Becky was applying lipstick in the mirror.

Chance was trying to say goodbye to Janice and I was waiting on him to finish. She's three now, we just celebrated her birthday about a week and half ago, and we're trying to potty train her.

"You and Chance go have fun tonight, okay?" Esmeralda embraced me as I tried to get out the door. She was watching Janice, like she usually did on the rare occasions when both Chance and I wanted to go out.

"Yes, ma'am. I feel like you're gonna have more fun than us." I laughed as Janice came running down the hallway singing something about a teapot, while twirling her curls with her finger. Chance placed his hand at my waist, hugging Esmeralda and blowing Janice a kiss.

"Bye, ladybug!" I said.

"Bye, Dannibear!" She giggled, showing her two front teeth and calling me by the nickname she made up one night while I was reading her Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It was completely random, but Janice was a completely random and surprising little girl.

We finally got out the door and into Roni's car. We were going to a party. It was a big thing amongst the school, the first spring party of the year. I never went before and through my vast experiences with parties, I had a feeling I might not enjoy this one.

"Oh, y'all look nice." Becky turned around from the passenger seat to peek at us. I laughed and thanked her. Chance was holding my hand as I laid my head on his shoulder.

"So, you know what I'm about to ask." Roni grinned, stopping at a red light and looking at us through the rear-view mirror. I sighed and looked up at Chance.

"Here we go." He chuckled.

"So is it official? It's been long enough. Plus, Chance you surprised her at school with a million balloons and a dozen roses. Let's not forget the gigantic bear."

"It was Valentine's Day." He debated.

"And?! That was totally not something a non-boyfriend would do."

-

We finally pulled up to the party location and I could feel butterflies violently fluttering in my stomach. I have really bad feeling about this.

The music could be heard from the outside of the building, and lights flashed violently around the wooded area. A party in the woods. Nothing bad can happen.

I got out of Roni's car first, pulling jacket closer to my body. It wasn't that cold outside, but the jacket made me feel more secure. We walked into the building and all kind of smells hit my nose. It was a mixture of alcohol, sweat, smoke, and hormones. I felt a hand slide into mine. I looked up at Chance, giving him a weak smile. He gave me a look of assurance before we walked through the crowd.

-

We had been at the party for at least two hours now and I was more than ready to leave. The feeling to party had left me long ago and all I wanted was to be at home with Janice. We could've thrown a party, Janice and I. It would have been a lot better than this. We'd have music and the guests would be her stuffed animals and we'd dance to old Kid's Bop songs until Chance would come and call it lame and turn the station. It would have been a real rave. Way better than any first spring party thing in an old large shed, in the middle of the woods, with teenagers practically fucking in the middle of the dance floor.

I was standing on the wall like I didn't belong, which I don't, looking off at all the kids dancing. I don't know where Chance went, nor do I care right now. I heard a loud squeal of a giggle and cut my head to the beverage table which wasn't that far away. I saw this girl and this guy. They looked familiar, but their back were turned to me so it could have been anybody.

I turned my head, no longer caring, until they walked right past me. My heart sank at the girls voluminous hair and the guys dreads. It can't be. I wasn't seeing it. Tiffany and Niall, laughing, kissing, and having the time of their lives. This is the worst thing that could happen right now. I feel like I'm a superhero who just watched his two archenemies join forces in the ultimate power move of all time. I'm in deep shit now.

I pulled out my phone and noticed I had a missed message from Daniel. He was telling me to call Mom for the thousandth time this week. I didn't want to speak to her. I don't care if she's pregnant, I'm not calling her.

I didn't reply to his message but I considered calling for a second while I text Roni to tell her Tiff was at the party with Niall. She was gonna have a fit, but there was not much we could do. My only question is: how did she get out of jail?

I went to my contacts a scrolled to my mom's contact number and just stared at it. Was calling her really worth it?

I walked outside and paced before pressing the dial option. It rang at least five times and I almost hung up, but she answered.

"Honey..." She answered, her voice soft and tender like it always was. I missed her, but I was even more angry at her for what she did. Could I ever forgive her?

"Mom?"

.