XXIX. "so why do we care?"

XXIX.

"Okay so why don't you guys like your mom again?" Chad asked as I passed him the food he'd ordered. He and Daniel had come to visit me right before my break at Charlie's. I sat down beside my brother, wiping my hands on my apron. I wasn't even sure why they were here together in the first place. I'm not sure why they had been discussing my mother either.

"Because she's a bitch." I mumbled.

"Woah." he said, drinking his soda. "What did she do?"

"Something no mother should be forgiven for." I said seriously, picking at my uneven nails.

Daniel looked at me and rolled his eyes. "Sorry, Danny just needs to grow the fuck up and get over it." I really can't stand his insensitivity sometimes. "You should really talk to her. She still asks about you."

"I think you should talk to her too." Chad added.

I looked him with my eyebrow quipped. "You don't even know what she did."

"Don't need to. She's your mother. Plus, you're a sixteen year old, living alone, and taking care of a little girl with another sixteen year old. I'm not judging you or anything, but you're too young to be worried about bills and babies and whatever else."

"Wow. Way to be non-judgmental." I scoffed. I wasn't mad, it was kinda true, but then again, no it wasn't.

"Danny, you need to talk to Mom." Daniel said finally before I had to get up and start back working. I smiled at him and told them both goodbye. I knew I needed to talk to Mom, but I wasn't going to until I had all the proof I could get my hands on.

I pulled into the lot of the school, parking next to Roni's car before putting my hair into the sloppiest ponytail known to mankind. I turned my radio down as a car parked beside me. It was Tiffany's, only she wasn't driving, a guy was. I looked through her window from my own, watching them kiss. I felt like a creep. I almost looked away before I met eyes with my worst nightmare: Niall Jacobsen.

So it was official. The Wicked Witch of the West has now paired with the man of her dreams: a conniving, unemployed, drug abusing, twenty-something rapist. Wow, she had really outdone herself. What a catch.

I got out, still feeling eyes burning a hole through me from the neighboring car. It's currently April, meaning the school had been bombarded with Prom Queen and King nomination sheets -as if homecoming had not been enough for the power-hungry social elite, the buzz of me being anonymously nominated, again, was clearly on every social media site since Friday. I still don't have a clue to why someone would continue to nominate me for things like this. Besides, I'm not even going to prom.

I opened my locker, shoving all my books into it. I'm not doing any work today. I was already having a shitty day and it nearly had only just started. I've been having a pretty shitty life lately, actually.

I unlocked my phone and scrolled through my messages mindlessly. Roni said she'd be in the library until lunch and Becky said she wasn't even coming (she had a hair appointment. I still can't believe she's a REAL GIRL!!!) Chance had practices in the morning now and I don't think I have anymore friends to join me in my languidness. There was Chad, but that's always a pretty bad idea.