III. A Bet

III.

chancellor

"Dude, you've got to get laid. You can't stay a virgin forever." Rodrick whined.

I threw a fry in my mouth and shrugged as I watched Janice play in the playpen. We had been here for a while now and I really wanted to leave. As usual, Rodrick was down my throat about my virginity.

"Look, I'm Chancellor DuBose. I can fuck any girl I want. I could lose my virginity to any girl at random." I bluffed. I could, but we both knew I wouldn't actually do it.

"Then, do it. Better yet, I'll make you a bet. I have to pick the girl and you have no choice but to lose your virginity to her by the homecoming game." he challenged. This is ridiculous.

I didn't even glance his way. "Or what?"

"I'll tell everyone you're a virgin."

"And..." I rolled my eyes. His threats weren't really all that effective.

"And I'll tell coach to bench you at homecoming."

I looked at him. He had to be out of his mind. "That's only gonna hurt you in the long run."

"No it won't. Everyone is going to be angry at you for not playing and letting us lose." he continued. Oh,wow. This is down right pathetic.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever Rod, who's the broad?" I asked. Although his attempt to threat me was an epic fail, I kind of want to lose my virginity as soon as possible. "I could just tell you that I banged a chick, you know."

"Daniella Hudson." a smile spread across his face, ignoring my last comment.

"Dude, give the girl a break." I breathed out. This game is getting old.

"Okay, I'll leave her alone if you do this. If you don't I'm only going to keep torturing her." He said it like it was the reason he woke up out if bed each morning.

I sighed.

"Dude, don't do it for me. Do it for yourself. Do it for your future." he said, shoving a hand full of tater tots in his mouth.

I rolled my eyes as Janice made her way back to our table.

I picked her up, smiling in her face. "Ready to go, babygirl?" She nodded her head.

I threw a twenty on the table to help pay for for lunch as I placed Janice on my hip.

"See you guys later." I said to the others who sat at a separate booth.

They all waved and continued their deep discussion on God knows what.

"Come on, Jan. We have to stop by Mrs. Jacobson's house. Uncle Chance has practice today." I said to her, walking out of the diner. She pouted. "Hey now. No pouting. I'll be back before you know it." I kissed her cheek.

I could hear a bunch of "Awww's" from a group of girls who stood in a far enough distance to call them stalkers. I scoffed and opened the back passenger door of my truck, placing Janice in her car seat.

I backed out of the parking lot and sped down the road. I'm slowly getting tired of this whole routine. Waking up, practicing, getting praised for basically living. I want more out of life, but I guess this will do for now.

-

I walked into Mrs. Jacobson's house with Janice on my hip.

"Rosemary?" I called out as I put Janice down so she could walk a bit.

I walked through the house, looking in the usual spots she would be. "Hmmmm, I guess she's not here. Maybe her dau-"

Janice ran in the living room crying, pointing down the hallway. "Scary!!" she yelled.

"Shhh. Shhh. Shhh. Babygirl, it's going to be okay. Stop crying. It's okay." I cooed, picking her up and making my way for the hallway.

"Thwat one." she pointed to an open door that looked like the bathroom.

I walked in and saw that the mirror was shattered. I looked down.

"Holy shit!"