XXI. "Are you on crystal meth?"

XXI.

  "Movie date!" Chance sang as we walked into the theater's lobby. I shook my head and laughed.

"You're so weird." I mumbled to myself, but I'm pretty sure he heard me. He'd been acting all "happy" (that's what he calls it) for a week now. He either still has the Christmas spirit or he's on crystal meth.

"You like popcorn, right?" He asked while we waited in line.

I nodded my head. "Are you on crystal meth?"

He frowned and laughed. "What?"

I snorted and shook my head. "Nothing"

Once we got our snacks, we had to wait a little while, until the previous screening was over, because we came like thirty minutes earlier than we had to.

"Let's play the crane." He suggested after I was almost about to drink half of my soda. I shook my head. I'm not good at the crane, and I get frustrated when I don't win.

"I'll watch you play it." I suggested. He agreed and we went into the small empty arcade section. I watched him as he dug into his pocket and pulled out a handful of coins. Why did he walk around with that much change? I have no idea. "Somebody takes his tips way too serious."

He slid the quarters in the slot and the game began to play carnival music. "I heard that and I always keep change on me. Just in case."

In case you come across crane machines and the salvation army? Tuh, this guy.

I paid attention as he effortlessly picked up a small brown bear dropping it into the pick up area. He put more quarters in and did it again. And again. And again.

Soon the movie was about to start and instead of having our arms and hands filled with buckets of popcorn and soda cups, they were occupied with stuff animals. I had long ate all the popcorn and drank all of my soda, so I'd probably have to pee the entire movie.

We found our seats in the empty theater all the way at the very top. Chance placed all his stuffed toys in a chair by themselves.

"They call me the Crane God." He said once I stopped taking the stuff animals he would hand to me.

"No one calls you that." I responded back seriously, but I couldn't contain my laughter. He was so weird.

The movie started and I almost forgot what we were watching. It was something I picked, but I only picked it because Roni kept telling me how awesome and romantic it was. Chance never really minds watching chick romance movies, which makes him even more perfect than he already was.

After a while I felt his hand slither into  mine. It scared me at first, but eventually I smiled and leaned onto his shoulder. We were the only ones in here. Just me, Chance, and a seat full of cheap plush animals that will probably be added to Janice's collection. She's three now and she nearly has a 100 stuff animals. Thanks to her uncle, the Crane God.

"What are you thinking?" He spoke lowly to me.

"Huh?"

"You're not paying attention to the movie. What are you thinking about?"

I sighed. The only reason he really took me out was to forget about what happened on Christmas. I had forgotten for a short second and he just reminded me. I rose my head and looked at him.