VII. "She needs one of those?"

VII.

____________________________

•| daniella |•

I walked out my front door with my head down looking at the screen of my phone as walked down the sidewalk to Chancellor's house. I was still deciding whether calling him last night was as good of an idea as I thought it was. I'm also not sure if I even want to hear what he has to say to me today.

I doubt he knows that Rod and I dated otherwise he would've said something. He probably won't even care which means I shouldn't care, right?

I made it to his doorstep and before I could even knock the door was snatched open by Chance holding Janice on his hip as she cried.

He grinned slightly. "Hey,"

"What wrong with her?" I asked as I stared at Janice who hollered like someone was killing her.

"She doesn't want me to do her hair." he said lowly.

I chuckled and took Janice out of his arm. "Come on, Jan. You're a big girl. Now, why are you crying?"

She stopped crying and began to sniffle. "Unkie Chwance hurt." she whined.

I raised my eyebrow and looked at Chance who was scratching his head.

"Well, do you want me to do your hair?" I asked her.

She nodded and wiped her cheeks. "Uh huh."

I grinned and walked into the house. "Chance where is her comb and brush?"

He gave me a strange look. "She needs one of those?"

I covered my face with the palm of my free hand. He can't be serious. "Just go sit on the couch."

We walked into the living room as I sat down in one of the recliners, letting Janice's small toddler body sit in between my two thighs. Her hair was really coarse and curly. I looked closer and saw that her hair had a ginger orange type of color to it.

"Chance, do you have Irish in your family?" I asked, unsure of how I was supposed to ask that and whether or not he understood what I was asking.

"Umm, my great grandparents on my mom's side are Irish." he answered.

I nodded my head even though that didn't explain why his hair was brown. Maybe his dad has brown hair.

I grabbed my bag and pulled out my wide tooth comb and began to slowly detangle Janice's hair as Chance just watched.

Once I was done with her entire head I pulled one of the many hair ties, that I kept on my wrist, off and brushed Janice's hair into a nice curly ponytail.

"And that's how you do it." I smiled as Janice hopped off the recliner and went to look in the full length mirror that sat on the wall across the room.

I got up from the chair and put my comb back in my bag before putting my bag back on my shoulders. Janice then ran back to me and hugged my leg, looking up at me smiling bright, showing her small baby teeth.

"Thwank yew."she cheesed.

I picked her up, kissing her cheek, and taking a seat next to Chance.

"Thank you." he said appreciatively.

I shrugged. "No problem," he grabbed my hand and squeezed it, causing a feeling that I hadn't felt in a long time to arise in my chest. I cleared my throat. "We should probably get going."

He stared at me smiling as Janice cocked her head to the side as if she wasn't sure what was going on. Shit, I wasn't sure what was going on either. Were we having a moment?