The Great Arrival

Aunt Sabel was visiting Doveland.

It was a diplomatic trip. Aunt Sabel, sister to King Adelard, was the Queen of Ethoris. Ethoris and Doveland were not even neighbors, but they did have somethings to gain. 

Previously, they had been enemies. Then things were healed when Aunt Sabel had been given in marriage to King Noah Ethoris of Ethoris: his lineage having laid the foundation stone of the Kingdom. And after the marital alliance, now, they wanted to take it further. Establish stronger ties, with more economic interdependence, trade and manpower. The usual. But one thing about this visit was peculiar, making it much more dreaded and suspicious. Aunt Sabel was coming alone, and not with the King.

'Isn't it strange?' Alexandra had asked Olivia, while the latter had been arranging her curls into a beautiful wreath of flowers. 'I thought Queens never went anywhere without their husbands. I thought no married woman went anywhere without them.'

'If you stop thinking, Alexandra,' Olivia had enlightened, rubbing her lips with a magenta gel, until they were glossier than glass, 'you will save everybody a lot of trouble.' She then pouted at the mirror, shaking her head with a disapproving grunt and wiping the magenta off her lips. 'Even kids know that Aunt Sabel and Noah don't get along at all.'

Then she had turned to have a good look at Alexandra. 'Look at yourself,' she had disparaged, slapping Alexandra's hair uninterestedly. 'Do something about these - they are flat as hay! And,' she had then lifted Alexandra's chin up to have a good look at her lips. 'Want me to lend you a balm? They are horribly chapped.' She had remarked, shaking her head and pulling Alexandra in front of the long mirror. 

Standing behind her, her arms on below Alexandra's shoulder, Olivia had leant forward. 'You are a Princess and you know how lucky that is. Use it Alexandra, and be a woman. I used to believe in love and charm. I used to believe in hearts. But that is foolish. There is duty and respect. And there is honor. Nothing above them.'

Alexandra had blinked twice and looked away. Olivia had seemed scary to her, the talk of duty and respect though justified, had felt paranoid. Especially the part about love and charm and hearts. Olivia hadn't felt like the old person she had been. To Alexandra, it had felt as though the Eldest Princess was under some charm. Under a dangerous mania. As quickly as possible, Alexandra had detached herself from the sister's grasp and rushed out. Swearing to never poke her again, unless absolutely necessary.

Aunt Sabel's visit was what they had to worry about.

But right now, alliance was a very long way. Presently, it was a simple visit of Queen Sabel to Doveland. And yet, deep inside, the Royal families knew that this would form the foundation of the alliance: the way Queen Sabel was treated. The fact that she didn't see eye to eye with the King, made no difference.

'We all, must be at our behavioral best and welcome Sabel as courteously as possible.' Announced King Adelard during dinner on the night before Queen Sabel's arrival. They were having a private dinner just for some last minute exchange of advice. Olivia had declined the invite to James Norweiner's wedding ceremony for it. Rose given up her appointment with Georgina Verse, one of the finest music teachers of Doveland. And Austin had pulled himself out of Court, early. Alexandra, for all her compromising nature, had agreed to not be absent from the dinner: something she usually was.  

But she was having a bad feeling about the Aunt and her visit.

'Alexandra.' Queen Ava declared, gently but firmly. 'You especially, child, should behave yourself. I don't mean to say that you are ill mannered. But just sometimes, in fact many-a-times, you cross the limits. No, look dear, I know you will get better with age. Still, for a week - please adjust. And be good.'