Other Side of the Tale

They walked around for about a minute, none of them talking. Alexandra hoped none of them dropped anything. And even if they did, she hoped they at least didn't bother to pick it up.

'Shall we begin?' Asked a man's voice. It was high-pitched, and a little thin, watery, 'Or maybe-'

'We shall begin,' a harsher, deeper voice replied.

'Alright, Sir. Now - as you know, our situations isn't too good. Famines are raging all over the country- due to pest attacks- as well as... ah, army actions by-' The watery-voiced man faltered.

'By? By whom? Speak clearly, Minister!' Boomed the harsher voice.

'By your forces, Sir! By Ethorians! The army entered into Doveland - forcefully, I might add, and destroyed the crops - set fire to livestock! The poor animals - and this is the result! Sir, only because of our alliance, we cannot tell the masses - the real reason behind this famine. Or you would have seen the Dovish march into your territories and return the favor. But now, we have to cook up tales of curses and what-nots!' Watery-voiced replied.

'Do you let your Ministers do all the talking, Sir?' Asked the gruff-voiced, turning to the third man.

'As far as he is correct, the Minister speaks, Diplomat. When he goes incorrect, I shall intervene.' Austin's reserved, unimpressed voice replied.

'Hmph!' Said Gruff-voiced, 'So you agree this is Ethoris' fault? I didn't expect such crudeness, Sir. At least not from you.'

'Neither did we expect the Ethorian army to attack our crops!' Austin replied, now agitated, 'Look down, Diplomat, what do you see? This is what Ethoris has reduced us to. And now, you are refusing to help? Is that what the terms of our alliance dictated?'

Alexandra had removed her hands from her back and mouth. She lay down, still as a mouse, drinking in their talks. So this was an Ethorian Diplomat who had come to Doveland to discuss the terms of Alliance. And all in all, the famine could be attributed to Ethoris, who was also playing dirty: first it had pushed its ally into famine. The ally didn't dare tell its citizens that the real reason had been another country's army, because then their army could possibly shift its loyalty, side with the commoners and rebel- resulting in the fall of the Dovish Monarchy. On top of everything, Ethoris had even refused to help the nation.

'We allowed the Ethorian troops enter,' Watery-voiced said, 'because we thought it would be a friendly engagement. Little did we know - that those barbarians would leave us plunged into famine!'

'Are you calling Ethorian troops - barbarians, Minister?' Gruff-voiced replied,

'Of course we are! These are the ways of barbarians. To enter into a country stealthily and to destroy its hard work.' Austin replied, 'Look, Diplomat - do not force Doveland to switch its sides!'

'Switch sides?!' Asked the diplomat, 'May I ask whom you plan to join, King Austin?'

'I get what you are trying to convey, Diplomat. You want to say we aren't in the position to be allies with anybody?' Austin replied, 'I agree.' He then said, 'But there are many countries that accept vassals. We shall prefer being Vedessa's vassals, than your slavish allies!'

Vedessa.

And Vassals.

Alexandra remembered of her diary - that bunch of parchment she had helplessly left behind. And in that she had sworn that Austin, Rose and Olivia would be her vassals. It was a foolish thing to vow, but it had been done. If she replaced herself with Vedessa, and took the oath as Austin, Rose and Olivia would be Vedessa's vassals ... the path of it seemed clear. Olivia already was one. Austin planned of it, and Rose came under Austin, as a citizen.