Fiery-Flaring Pride

The house was pretty fine.

Daniel sat in one secluded corner, scribbling away to somebody. Kane and Alexandra were peering into a map of Losiane. Fannel was trying to find out how he could unfasten his cloak, because he had somehow, in a hurry, instead of buttoning it, tied a knot with the two edges and now it was appearing impossible to untie it.

Watson wasn't back yet.

'What's Dan doing there?' Alexandra asked Kane.

'Writing a letter to Everly,'

'Everly is...'

'His special friend,' Kane nodded with a slight smirk. 'Don't disturb him. He'll throw his knife at us if we do,'

'Goodness, that's scary!' Alexandra said, 'Let's focus on East Losiane, that'll be better.'

'Hmm,' Kane said, 'Or maybe, we should look for Watson. He's gone for lon-'

Wild hammering on the door cut Kane across. Alexandra gave him a half a shrug and ran to open the door.

Watson almost rolled inside the house. And Alexandra slammed the door shut- without the slam, that was. Evidently, Watson was being followed,

'Stupid Losianish!' He grunted, getting up.

'What happened?' Alexandra asked him. Even Daniel looked up.

'They - these group of four men, they are behind me since afternoon. They're claiming I'm a bankrupt merchant who looted them before becoming a pauper! And they chased me across the whole city!'

Alexandra couldn't help laughing. 'Sorry!' She said, grabbing her stomach and still laughing. 'Oh I can't help it.'

'Next time, you try to outrun a Losianish, we'll see then!'

'Why, are they that fast?' Kane asked, folding the map of Losiane and getting up.

'Fast?' Watson asked, 'fast? They run as if assassins are at their tail!'

The word assassins was scary, but it brought a good memory of an infirmary and a particular person with her in it, to Alexandra. She turned away to grin, until she realized she was slightly blushing. That was all the more reason to turn away, and she made haste in doing so - especially from Mark and Kane - that needed to be hid.

'That's not at all nice,' Fannel said, exasperatedly cutting off the cloak with Vertex, his dagger. Thankfully, he didn't catch Alexandra looking at the wall for two whole minutes. 'If commoners run that fast, I'd hate to imagine what seasoned runners will do.'

'Outrun us.' Watson answered, gulping down a gallon of water. 'And then, all we have to do is turn our back and run in the opposite direction,' he replied. 'Anyhow, I did find out something.'

'What?' Asked three voices, Alexandra recovering.

'What?' Asked Daniel, a bit late.

'There are these sponsors in Losiane, who are really wealthy. They give the State credit,'

'Oh,' said Alexandra. 'And they are Losianish...'

'That's the point! They are not!'

'So?'

'Mabel,' Said Kane, 'Try to understand, Losiane isn't in any war - they aren't having a subsistence crisis. Why would they need credit?'

'For some extra work,' she supplied, realizing the meaning herself and everybody knew what she meant. 'But what proof do we have, that this extra work is other means of warfare? That Losiane is receiving fund for terrorism?'