Queenly Queen Olivia

Thursday, was cloudy and overcast. Light drizzles fell unexpectedly throughout the early morning. The morning, which seemed to have arrived a little too fast for Alexandra's liking.

She had spent the last night - and many before - trying to connect the scattered dots of Olivia's life. To find out why, it was Akwanda she chose, of all. So far, after a lot of mulling over, she had a generous idea as to why that could be so.

The first point, was the way society was. And in that, "elite" society with its deplorable notions and customs. Marriage alliances were delicate contracts - extreme carefulness went into them. In the elite notions, if a woman rejected a man, that was well and good. Nobody thought any worse of either of them. But the reverse, sadly, was not true. If a woman was rejected - it was a great insult, both to her and to her family. Additionally, the lady was looked down upon.

What had made matters worse in Olivia's case, was the fact that there had been no valid reason given along with the refusal. A simple, straight "no", which ought to have made things clear, had only complicated matters. And that was the reason Alexandra had felt Liam was at fault. She had, for at least once, sat down and wondered for herself, why the refusal when there was no reason for it. That had been when she was fourteen. Now, she knew better. A no, meant a no - and it could be coming for a woman or a man, a beggar or an heir, a child or an adult - but a no meant a no. And when it was given, there was no reason needed along. What was more: if he had given a reason, it was bound to be untrue - for they had never met in person. So, he had done what was right - but often, doing the right thing brought trouble.

That being said, a lot of should have's arrived in the picture. Olivia should have understood Liam's stand. Olivia should have respected his choice. Olivia should have moved on. Liam should have handled it better. He had had the time to write to Alexandra - he could have written to Olivia too.

He had the time to write to you once in two years. And what gives you the idea that he necessarily didn't write to her?

The logical part of Alexandra, her Mind, was annoying, but it brought forth undeniable facts. And of course, Olivia was secretive. Beyond secretive, she would regard any letter written by Liam, as her private property of sole ownership. Alexandra clearly remembered the day they had allowed a distant trader to amuse them with portraits of "eligible NOBLE bachelors and princes". A boring afternoon when she had been twelve. Aunt Sabel had been married six years before that date, and Olivia, who had been rather close to the aunt (the closest it was possible to be, in any case) had been dull and morose - even after SIX years, which was a little too much. Rose, her cheeks flushed and her blonde hair flying around, had announced of the trader who wanted entry. She had seemed so excited that the infectious eagerness had spread to the youngest and the eldest sister as well.

Mistress Olivia, seventeen, had skimmed through all the likenesses with a wrinkled nose and a persistent frown. Each time she had momentarily stopped at a picture, the trader had announced the name and designation of the personality staring back at them from the frame. Rose had stood at her shoulder and praised everybody. 'Oh he's got soulful eyes!' And, 'his grin is so modest, he must be a tender soul.' And the worst of them, 'ooooh, look at those battle scars! He'd fight the world for someone!'

Alexandra had stood at Olivia's other shoulder and criticized everybody. More in reply to Rose, than anything else, but it had been fun. 'Soulful eyes?' She had demanded, 'they are the shallowest pair I've ever come across!' And, 'he just isn't smiling broadly because doing that will throw all his wrinkles to light. He must be our father's age!' Finally, 'the things you call battle scars look like worms and slugs rolling on him. And they only show how violent he is.'

That had led to a small argument between her and Rose. When they had sorted it out and turned back to Olivia, they had found Liam's portrait in her hand - and a certain dangerously distracted look on her face, the wrinkle on her nose vanishing. Rose had gasped, 'he's perfect for you!' And that was the instant she had implanted the idea in Olivia's mind. Given her approval and support. But Alexandra hadn't had an equally good opinion of him. She had frowned and scoffed, 'perfect? He looks like a wolf.'