Can't Clap with a Single Hand

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.
- Aristotle

'So, how's Marilyn?' Alexandra asked him, when Fannel had finally stopped pulling at her. One of Alexandra's brilliant ideas, because talking of Marilyn always got him into a better mood.

'I collected her reply from the council - it's full of 'whys' and 'what happeneds'. I'm sure she will have my blood, so maybe you should handle her first.'

'I will,' Alexandra assured. 'You tell me why you were threatening Watson to stay away from Diana.'

'I have a feeling that boy has his eyes on her,' Fannel confided, looking into the distance, 'and I will certainly not let him lure Diana. You tell me - do you have your eyes on anyone, Mabel?' He then asked, suddenly.

'Hmph,' Alexandra clucked, 'on the Lake. Does that count?'

Why are you lying?! Heart demanded, tell him! He's always been honest with you!

It was easy to quieten Heart. So Alexandra did that.

'That,' Fannel said, slyly, 'is very good - because somebody wanted to know.'

'Oh really, do enlighten me in that case,' Alexandra sighed, bracing herself to hear a name she hadn't even given a second thought to. Because love, often was where people least expected it to be.

'Of course I will,' Mark continued, calmly, though Alexandra knew him enough to say he was brimming over with excitement. 'It is someone you know really well.' he smirked, stopping by the Mess and leaning against its side wall. Alexandra eyed him suspiciously,

'I know a lot of people really well. I know you really well too, so that's not a helpful hint.' And she vetoed it with a wave of hand - waiting to roll her eyes at the name.

Not from the Council - not from the council! Please! She wished, nevertheless.

'Who cares about the hints, Mabel. I'll tell you straight away.' Fannel relented, staring at the dark horizon, 'Liam was VERY interested to know.'

'Who?' Alexandra asked, like a fool, 'who's this Lia- wait, not...' She then whimpered, going redder than beet.

Fannel nodded like a priest who was authorizing a huge sacrifice. 'I sort of have the aura - people can't help trusting me. Just before we left, I thought I should inform him that the Agents were leaving - but there I find him, staring into the distance with a small, charmed sort of smile. I called out six times - no response. Then I smacked him across the head - of which he thankfully didn't take any offence. And what was the first thing he asks me? Heard from Mabel? Then I knew for sure there was something very interesting going on - so I lied, and said yes. You should have seen the way his eyes lit up - I got my confirmation with that.
'And then he asked me what does she say? Now that was a difficult lie to cook, so I lowered my weapons and confessed that I had lied, as well as telling him who did he think could get letters in a war. I still don't get what was funny in that line, but he laughed and then opened up.
'He told me as much, I'm quoting it - I don't know when this happened - we were just friends. I'll tell you, Mark- I've NEVER felt this way about another woman. I didn't know what to say! All I could was stare at him in disbeli-'

'Well- he never looked particular interested to me,' Alexandra interrupted heatedly, with her Heart jumping up and down like it had full intention to crawl into her mouth.

'Don't be stupid, sister. Why will he look interested? Only fools wear their hearts on their sleeves in this cruel world. And you know the first requirement to be a King? Being able to become emotionless - being able to function only with your brain. Not letting heart and emotions interfere with your duty and decision-making. You wouldn't do it!'

'We-ll...' Alexandra ventured, feeling giddy, 'you do have a point.'

'I always do,' Fannel corrected, 'so yes, and he wanted to know your side of things. If you harbor feelings for someone else.'

'And what would he do if I did?' Alexandra shot at him,

'How can I tell you that?' Fannel shrugged, 'But I can guarantee you as much - in case you did want to be with somebody else - he would have quietly withdrawn and chosen to see you happy. I don't know much about this, but one thing holds - if you truly love someone, you will want their happiness, be it with you, or be it with somebody else. And hearing him speak was enough - he is deeply in love.'

Awww...Heart began,

SHUT UP! Mind bellowed, But I like that man - yes.

Alexandra could have run twenty miles right now - she felt so exhilarated and heated up. Or maybe she couldn't do the miles, because only for the second time in her whole life, since the night she was exiled - Alexandra felt her legs wobble. And she wouldn't have been surprised if she sprouted a pair of wings right now.

'So...' ventured Fannel, 'I won't ask you if you think the same way for him or not. Because well - let's face it - that King is captivating enough to charm you. Hah, so when you become the Queen-'

'Goodness!' Alexandra gawked, 'How far have you thought it out, Mark? We are not - you know, knotting up tonight!'

'It is bound to happen.' He claimed, with a wave. 'So, when you become the Queen, keep up this job. We are just ... not a complete team without you.' He finished, hugged her, so quickly that Alexandra didn't even have time to speak a word, and entered the thin lane beside the Mess which led back to the Supervisory.

He left Alexandra stranded. With nothing other than her own messy thoughts for company- 'I guess,' she said to nobody in particular, 'I should now expect the unexpected. And of course I'm happy. Of all people - me. Not Olivia - me! Oh my,' she admitted, doubling over, a hand to her mouth. Then she melted onto the grass. 'Liam - and I. Goodness, he must have said that back in the palace. But whoever heard of a spy-queen?!'

Whoever heard of a princess-spy? You are born for being beyond, Heart cooed.

'When shall I see him?!' She demanded, to nobody in particular, and then stood there for about five minutes more, calming her nerves. Finally, she left for to find Jade - who, she had a feeling, had a letter for her.