Spies Catch a Spy

Alexandra loved stay-at-home days. Which was a big thing, because once she had considered staying at home useless.

'I seriously underrated home,' she muttered to Fannel, they both were staring out of the window, watching the rains once again.

'And I overrated it,' he replied. 'Maybe the reason we met, Mabel. We can teach each other a lot.'

Alexandra exhaled. 'Yesterday, I saw terrorists for like the first time...' she began. 'And Brother, yesterday, my respect - for you, for anybody who's going through them...' but she dropped that track, because it had lent a dangerous light to his eyes. 'I can't tell you how much they scare me.' She then began, and the dangerous light vanished completely, to be replaced with a consolation. 'And then - to see them every other day, to live constantly with them at your doorstep... I can only imagine how much courage it takes.'

'That's the reason Mary does the humanitarian work.' It was either that he didn't want to talk of Diana, or had momentarily banished that memory. 'She distributes food - clothes - supplies. Everything. And she loves those people. Not like the normal rich - wrinkling their noses at the sight of,' He exhaled, 'Underprivileged. Being poor isn't a crime, but it is treated like the worst of them. Rigorous punishment every single day, physically and mentally. Mabel,' He then said, like he wanted to say something. Something phenomenal. Then he dropped it, and dropped his gaze too. 

But Alexandra felt it was something about her. And what else could it be other than of her past? Sometimes she wondered what would follow if she told Fannel - just him, about her true identity? Had he not been completely honest with her about his past?

But his past was where he was a victim. Kane was a victim. Watson was a victim. Who are you? The villainess of your own story. A murderer. An exiled outlaw. You think you are the same as them? You think you have suffered as much as them?

Alexandra hated it, but her mind was right. Her story was not one that would get her love or respect. Moreover, it could dissolve the little bit of them she had earned so far.

You think their love is so fragile? So subjective, it is going to break with just that truth? And in case it does, it was good it did - such fragile love is only a bondage. As long as the glass toy remains, you are scared the toy will break. Once it does break- the fear breaks too.

She hated paradoxes too. And yet, wherever she went - she found one. She asked herself, What do I do, in that case? But for once, her outspoken mind chose silence.

Perhaps it was not the time yet. One day, it would be. Alexandra was fine with that one, single Idgardian knowing her truth. Mainly because she knew he was the safest person to have secrets shared with.

And in that case, how many more secrets did Liam know? How many more people were counting upon him to not cheat them? In all the people she knew, that one single person puzzled her. He was all open and cheerful, not like the stereotypical mysterious men who would wear dark clothes, cover their faces and appear only at nights. No. Liam always gave the I'm an open book message. Only, he was not. And that, was true mystery. Where everything appeared plainer than it actually way.

I'm pretty sure I know only that side of him which he chooses to show. Alexandra had had that thought a year ago, in a funny place - she had been hiding under the bed of an Infirmary Patient on one of her trials. It had stuck on to her.

Kings are like that. Or at least they try to be.

Agreed, but Liam had never - and would never be her King. They had always been equals - friends. Still - the same.