Enormous Mistake

'What happened?' Kane asked her, later. 'I should tell you - Mark will need at least three months - I think more. But what happened - and why was this room locked?!'

Alexandra told him, and she trembled when the part about the murder she had committed arrived, hardly knowing that it was just the beginning. Kane's face underwent almost one percent change throughout the whole retelling - but Alexandra had learned to read him better. His eyes told the real story. And they underwent the rest ninety nine percent of it.

'So-' he began, but there was again a hammering on the door, and he got up to receive the other two Agents - who were still half wet from the morning rains.

And then the usual: they asked each other what had took place and shared notes.

Alexandra looked out of the window as Kane repeated her part of the story to them, when he had finished, Watson opened his mouth as if to say something, but Alexandra began before him.

'I'm going back there, tomorrow.' She declared.

The three other spies remained silent. Then, 'You don't need to, Mabel.' Said Daniel, 'It isn't our job to.'

'I understand that,' she replied, getting up. 'But the reason that man caught us, was because we stayed too long. And we stayed for too long because Mark wanted to help this family - whoever they are. I'm doing it. I'm - I don't mind doing it alone. But I will.'

'Look, Mabel - be practical, Mark's already bedridden. The rest of us need to continue taking up other locations,' Kane pointed out, for all his practicality, he didn't understand the emotions behind her decision. Perhaps he was wiser, perhaps being like that was easier, and a lot safer. 

'And that means: no groups. You will be ... really alone. And it won't be safe.' Watson added.

'What is safe?' Alexandra asked him, tossing Moira on the table. 'I haven't seen safe since I joined this council. I'm sure I won't see it ahead either. Somebody needs to do the unsafe work. And Mark gave his word to Dylan - that we would rescue the rest of these terrorist-slaves. They are not happy. All I have to do is appeal to their senses. And even if I fail - it will be better than sitting here and regretting. Saying: I could have changed so many liv-' Alexandra didn't complete, because Watson had grabbed her into an air-crushing hug.

'You're a true Captain,' he said, releasing her. 'I'm glad we're friends - I'm glad I know a hero like you.' But he finished abruptly, and Alexandra got the idea that he wanted to say something else too, something he thought he couldn't say in front of two seniors - or two anybodys for that matter. 

She hoped that if it was something along the lines of what she had unwillingly (and very helplessly) developed for Liam, the thing she was trying to cast away and hide, even from herself. If it was something like that, she hoped he would never confess it, because if that became the case, she would have to...

It was too early for such protracted speculation. Alexandra laughed besides herself and pushed him away, 'Come on, Elf!' She said, 'You say like it's my funeral tomorrow!'

'Stop inviting the Devil, you crazy lass!' Daniel told her, 'I sometimes wondered what was so special in you - why were you the ONLY girl in the Council - thanks for answering that question so well.'

'And do return from this crazy trial of yours,' Kane told her, though he still looked like it would just be better if they locked her into a room like Dylan's and prevent the "crazy trial". 'So that we can all take turns throttling you.'