Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study

Thankfully, the word of Alexandra's attempt at Watson's murder didn't reach Master George. He arrived as impressively as any other day in the training ground, the next day, and dispersed them all off to the library.

'Everyone, gather up!' He had started.

'Sir we have gathere-' Hans had begun, but he had stopped midway upon receiving a smoldering glance from Master George.

'A very important part of being involved in National Service is - knowing the laws. And keeping yourself up to date with the changes that happen almost every week. I want all of you to spend as much time as possible in reading up the laws. There are fifty copies of Idgarian Laws: A Neutral Study in the library. You must read, understand the application of and remember each law. The books are updated every day. Yes, everyday. So you better check for updates, for the rest of your lives. Now run along Agents-in-making!' He had concluded. Alexandra had known this "learning the law" would be a boring business. She just had a dull feeling about it.

But they did run along and start their read of the laws. It was monotonous work. Alexandra dozed off three times in an hour. The book was a fat one and had thin, soft, yellowing pages which made a very comfortable pillow. The librarian walked around, with a cane in his hand. Whenever anybody dozed off, he brought the cane down on their shoulders. Alexandra received the stinging cane attack twice.

'OW!' She had screamed, the first time.

'Shh!' The dangerous, black-haired man had warned, in reply. 'Raise your volume once again, and I will personally kick you out!' He had informed.

'S - sorry!' Alexandra had squeaked, shrilly.

'Volume down!' He had repeated, menacingly brandishing the cane.

'Sorry?' She had then whispered.

'That's right.' He had approved, moving away.

When Alexandra was broken awake for the third time, with the cane attack, she knew this was futile. 'I need someone to teach me!' She exclaimed - to the library at large. The librarian gave her a red-eyed glare and she grinned sheepishly in reply. 'I - I meant - the library's so beautiful!' She told him, staring around impressively. When he finally looked away, she breathed a sigh of relief.

But Alexandra did need a teacher. And she knew whom she'd go to -

'Brother! I Need help!' Alexandra shouted ten minutes later, as she stood waving across the Lake. But Fannel was busy with some Third Years. Goodness alone knew why he wasn't taking a break.

'Busy, Mabel!' He shouted across, 'go to Kane!'

'Where's he at?!' 

'In the Weaponry!'

'Fine!'

'Welcome!'

'I didn't thank you, brother!'

'You should have, sister!'

Alexandra laughed. She took to the weaponry, right next to the Party Hall. It was a big and scary place. There was always a dim red glow from all the copper shields and blades hanging around. Iron was scarce as it was too difficult to clean its rust. Alexandra made her way through all the maze of weapons lying around. Finally, she spotted Kane. He was crouching low and polishing blades. The room was so unbearably hot, Alexandra wondered how he stayed in here.

'Hello.' She ventured. Kane didn't jump or look surprised.

'Hello Mabel,' he noted, without even looking back.