The Merciless Pang

The next day, in their class, Master George began with his reason for making all the Fourth Years give up spice for a month. But it was so simple a reason that Alexandra almost felt betrayed. Had it been something like - "this was the gravest situation of life you can ever live" - or had their teacher praised them with something like - "you are all the greatest students to ever pass through this Espionage!" It would have been better. 

But it was not.

It was utter folly to even imagine Master George doing that. He would just as well tell them how they were the worst batch of students - a pile of garbage who deserved to adorn the wastelands of Idgard. Consequently, none of them expected any positive remarks.

He began normally - that is - seriously, 'how many of you felt tempted to break the task?' He asked.

All seven hands went up, because they did know lying could result in a dreadful session of scrutiny. The teacher nodded grimly, 'And how many of you - broke it? Actually broke it - for I have not forgotten about the punishment we'd decided upon.'

Alexandra thought it was a little foolish to mention the punishment. The simple statement highlighted the necessity of lying - and she was very sure it was a lie when none of the hands went up.

'Well, if that's true...' their teacher ventured, tilting his head in morose acknowledgment and pronouncing the word like it took him a lot of effort to do so, 'good. But if it's untrue. You will have to work harder - a lot harder. My point in making you people do this - was to show you how hard it is to control the tongue. The tongue is the most difficult sense organ to control - be it in eating, or in speaking. You always want to do a bit more, eat a bit more, speak a bit more. And only after having done it, you realize how foolish it was to have listened to your tongue. And that, students, is what you practice this year. Controlling how much you give-away. Your answers should be fulfilling without being compromising. Nobody can teach you that, students, if you don't have the will to do it. We shall try our best, but if you are not willing, mark my words: this year will be useless for you! Besides,' He continued, not letting them ponder for long, 'let us begin with something simple - but serious.'

They stared at him, all mute. That was the teacher's cue to continue.

'Lie. You all now, must lie to me. A single lie. Any lie. Not necessarily one which I know of - and - it must sound as real as possible. Think of the emotion you associate with it. Believe it to be true, for a while. Even you should believe, for a moment, that it is true. You get me?' He asked.

They assured they did - everybody thinking of a suitable lie which they could pile up. Maybe she could say "I am Dovish", but if anybody argued that it wasn't a lie, she would have to pull out her dagger and deal with them the hard way. Maybe she could say "I hate all of you present here" but if she said that too realistically, a wrong message would go forth. Maybe she could say "I've given my heart to somebody" but the same thing applied here - if she said that too realistically, the worst message would go forth. 

Then what am I supposed to sa-

'Mabel.' The teacher called over. She turned to look at him, scandalized at being called first, but the expression melted away at finding Master George at close quarters. He stared into her eyes as though he had to read her mind. 

She gulped once - and blurted out the first time which came to her mind. 'I - am a Princess.'

Did it qualify as a complete lie? Because perhaps it didn't. The lingering silence meant that she had said it a little too well.

'Repeat that.' He ordered, stepping away. 'Repeat that in the same manner.'

'I,' Alexandra replied, terrified at the prospect of suspicion. 'Am a princess.'