Royalty AU

Sophie sat at the dining table, looking around. There was the usual chatter going on, while the king himself was quiet- his neutral and serious expression unnerving to some.

At her home, that would have been completely different. Grady and Edaline would be sitting in the lawn, inviting friends over and having the time of their lives even if it was just a breakfast gathering.

Now you must be wondering where the heck Sophie is at. Let's rewind to a couple of months back, shall we?

It had been an ordinary day at the castle of Everglen when a royal messenger from Kingdom Candleshade had come. To say that the two kingdoms were not amicable towards each other would be the understatement of the century.

King Cassius and Queen Gisela had sent an invite to Everglen' s royalty- in hopes of bridging ties by uniting their heirs in marriage.

So yeah, her best friend and royalty, Biana, had been proposed with the prospect of marrying Prince Keefe in a diplomatic alliance.

Little did people know, Biana had her heart set on someone else. She was in love with the prince of Kingdom Choralmere- Prince Tam. They kept their love secret, because both kingdoms were rivals.

Biana had been devastated on hearing the message, but realised how important it was for her kingdom that this happen. So, she had agreed- much to her parents' delight.

As it turned out, they were supposed to go to Kingdom Candleshade, where they would be staying for a year or so, till all the things were worked out. It would also give the two heirs time to get to know each other better, and strengthen ties.

Biana had asked Sophie and Dex, her two best friends, to accompany her and after a bit of deliberation with Grady, Sophie finally was able to get him to agree.

She herself was basically royalty at Everglen, though not the princess- just her best friend and daughter of the most influential and important family besides the royal family, of course.

This brought her to the present day- where she sat at breakfast. A lot had changed in the past two months she was here. Just thinking about it caused a blush to rise on her face. She glanced around, when her eyes caught with Keefe's, as he subtly winked at her while she playfully glared.

Biana was sitting a few seats away, talking to Dex. The king and queen sat at the head of the table, still and wary as statues- they gave her the chills. She couldn't fathom Keefe being related to them- he was such a lively, kind and generous person.

Once the breakfast got over, she went outside as others too dispersed, off to their daily duties.

Nearing the stairs, she was about to turn the corner when a hand clasped firmly round her waist, the person pulling her towards them in the shadows, turning her around.

"Keefe!" she hissed, feigning exasperation. He just smirked at her, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Hey beautiful" he smiled, bringing her close to him. She grinned, running her hand through The Hair.

"Someone will catch us, Keefe"

"Mhmm" he nudged her face and neck with his nose, "I don't care, Foster"

She gave him a look.

"Oh ok maybe I do care a bit, since I'm supposed to be marrying Biana" he winced, " I love you so much, Foster- can't wait to tell everyone"

Her smile widened, "I love you, too. We'll talk tonight and decide how to tell everyone, yeah? Now I really need to go- Biana will tease me infinitely if I stay any longer"