Soulmate AU

Sophie lay in the dark, lost in her thoughts. In the distance, an engine revved, roaring loudly. An owl hooted, probably telling the engine to shut it.

Her eyes roamed about her room, catching onto the digital clock on her bedstand.

11:30  - it said.

Her heart beat faster. Only half an hour left.

Half an hour till her birthday.

Her 16th birthday.

The day she got her notebook.

That is, if she had one.

See, that was the thing about soulmates- you could just never tell what destiny had in store for you.

Soulmate.

The word terrified her to no extent, and at the same time excited her.

Do you know that feeling when you're doing an adventure sport- maybe zip line, or even bungee jumping?
Don't you get that exhilarating feeling- that you're scared out of your wits, but still want to try how it feels?

That's what she felt whenever the topic of soulmates was brought up.

Almost everyone had a soulmate, and on their 16th birthday, they got a notebook which was a connecting link to them.

You could start writing in it, and your words would appear on your soulmate's notebook- though it would be in their handwriting only, so there wasn't much chance of figuring soulmates out by that method.

It was said that you had to develop a bond with them- without asking anything too specific.

You had to get to know the real them- not the materialistic things in their lives.

Once you both started falling for each other, a day would come when their handwriting would appear on your notebook.

That was the day when you could take it further- get to know their name, age, gender etc.

Over time, the bond only strengthened, and the notebooks automatically portrayed the memorable moments throughout your life with your soulmate.

Oh well- if she had a soulmate- well and good.

If not- that'd be okay, too.

She could live freely, without constantly being burdened about whether there was someone out there for her or not.

Deciding that that was the only thing she could do, she flopped down on her bed, as sleep miraculously embraced her within minutes.

✨✨✨

Keefe stared at the notebook- hard and long.

Three months.

It had been three months since he got it, and every time he tried writing in it?

His words merely disappeared from the pages.

Gone like the wind- whoosh.

According to his sister, this meant that your soulmate hadn't received theirs yet.

But since when was Ro, of all people, an expert at things such as love?

Speaking of the devil (she literally was one, at least for him), he was cut off by a rather too loud "SUP FUNKYHAIR? STILL PINING ABOUT THAT LOVEY-DOVEY NOTEBOOK?!"

"Gosh, keep it down, will ya?"

"SORRY! CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS AWESOMENESS!" She shouted, pointing to the headphones stuck on her head.

Already done with her, Keefe decided to do something he should have done ages ago.

"HEY!" Ro cried, as he smacked the headphones out of her ears.

"What was that for?" She fumed.

"You're being annoying"he smirked.

"You're annoying" she made a face.

"Wow, Ro. Wow- you're sooo mature, aren't you?"

She replied by sticking out her tongue at him.

Both laughed as she plopped down on the bed, "Wassup, Funkyhair?"

"That's Hunkyhair to ya"

"Whatever. Anyways,what seems to be bothering you, brother dearest of mine?" She cooed, batting her eyelashes for extra effect.

Slapping her playfully on the shoulder, he shook his head, "Umm- you'll laugh at me"

Her face softened, "No I wouldn't. What is it, Keefe? You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Yeah" he sighed, "It's just- what if there actually isn't someone out there, and that I'm only clinging onto false hope, getting my expectations utterly high, only to be slapped in the face when I've grown up and realise that there's nobody for me?"

Ro was quiet for a bit.

Then, taking his hand in hers ( which was completely, utterly shocking for him), she took a deep breath, " Keefe, hey- just look at me. Yeah, that's good. You know, it may not seem like it, but I care about you- I really do. Much more than I'd like to admit even to myself. And I know it must be hard, waiting for three months already, getting your hopes up. But you know what, hope is the only thing stronger than fear and-"

"Did you just quote from The Hunger Games?" he asked, amused.

"Ughh- will you be serious? And yes, yes I did" she smiled at him.

"Anyhoo, as I was saying- just.. don't get too hung up on this thing. Just..let things turn out the way they were intended to. And , if I'm correct in assuming, your little blondie's birthday is tomorrow, right? What if she's your soulmate ,huh?" She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

Keefe turned red, "Um-uh- no! That- that couldn't be-"

"Who says little brother, who says ? This world's a funny thing. Always upto some miracle or the other."

✨✨✨

Sophie stared at the notebook.

It had been around a month since she got it, but had been too much of a wimp to actually write in it.

Today, however, was different.

It had been truly frustrating- school was tough, plus with her period sneaking up on her, she was in a generally foul mood.

She eyed the pretty ice blue cover of this 'gateway to soulmate' (as Biana called it) , and finally decided to go for it.

She hadn't even told any of her friends she had got one, because then everyone else would have pestered her to write in it, which was something she really didn't want to do.

She wanted to go at her own pace- it was her life, after all.

Speaking of which, she didn't even know if all her friends had gotten theirs.

Everyone tended to keep these things to themselves, so it wasn't a big deal.

Anyways, back to the main point- the notebook.

Aah. Yes.

With a slightly shaky hand, she grabbed a pen, hesitating, hesitating and hesitating as she wrote down the first words-

A simple 'hi'.

She knew the chances were less.

For all she knew, the soulmate hadn't even gotten their notebook yet.

But she was in no way prepared for what happened next.

Words appeared in her own handwriting, though not written by her.

A simple word that changed everything, turning her world upside-down.

Hey:)

A/N: I'm rly happy that y'all waited patiently, couldn't have asked for more- thanks guys! And I hope you enjoyed this one:)) remember you're loved and beautiful just the way you are- never let anyone underestimate you❤️

Love y'all loads,
~Ana:))