All's fair in love and war

Dedicated to Hogwartsfoxfire

Sophie panted.

She was running fast- faster than ever before.

She stopped for a second, taking in the scene in front of her.

The whole battleground was now sparse. Many Neverseen members lay unconscious here and there. Most of the Black Swan and the Council were holding up pretty well- though scars, burns and bruises were evident.

As she was about to continue running, the horn sounded.

A single sound of finality, peace and relief.

The Neverseen had surrendered- it was all over.

She looked around, trying to find those whom she loved when her eyes met ice blue ones. She could see the tousled blond hair under his black Neverseen cloak, and the guilty expression on his beautiful face.

She ran towards him- she trusted him with her life- when he let out a pained grunt, and fell to the ground, half unconscious.

"Noooo!" She cried out in despair.

She watched in horror as they cuffed him, holding him roughly by The Hair onto his knees.

She ran towards him- when she saw her friends and family, even the Council come up.

She shouted, " What on earth are you doing?? Let him go!"

Councillor Emery spoke up, "Miss. Foster, he was with the Neverseen for two whole years- he's a criminal, like it or not. He'll be sentenced to Exile, along with the others"

Her heart stopped.

What?!!

They couldn't do that.

"No!" she begged, "You have to let him go. He never did anything wrong. You know he was playing double agent the whole time. Else do you really think we would have stood a chance today? He gave us such valuable information, putting his life on the line for you. For us. THIS is how you repay him?!"

"Sophie" Councillor Oralie tried to speak.

"No. Don't you 'Sophie' me" she said quietly. Dangerously.

"You all know very well what his true intentions were. Yet, you're all acting like stubborn 5 year olds- at least you have to give him a chance. Don't you understand?"

"I'm sorry Miss. Foster" Councillor Terik's voice filled her ears, " The decision is final. Mr. Keefe Sencen will be sentenced to Exile."

"What?! Please! No! How can you do this?!" she wailed, thrashing. She tried running towards Keefe in order to hug him, ask him to tell everyone he wasn't guilty, but was restrained by strong hands.

"Dad!" she shouted, struggling against Grady's grip. " Let me go to him!" she cried.

"No kiddo' he grunted, 'That boy deserves it. He betrayed you. Us. All of us. He's dangerous. You can't-"

He was cut off by Sophie's loud, humourless laugh. Everyone turned towards her, Grady's arms around her going slack because of the sudden change in her demeanor.

She walked midway towards Keefe, laughing that dangerous, warning laugh again.

"You really don't get it, do you?" she exclaimed, " You seriously think that he betrayed us? All of you- do you really believe that- do you? Tell me- DO YOU??!" she shouted.

"Sophie, that's enough" Grady said.

"No. I'm not done here. You'd think that the people he calls his family and friends would be better than this. Turns out, there are more than 1 Gisela and Cassius in his life. How can you not trust him?! He sacrificed so much over the years- all the while trying to protect you all. He was forced to join the Neverseen two years ago cause Gisela threatened to kill me and all of you" she looked at her friends, continuing, " He helped us so many times and this is how you repay him? Some friends and family you are."