Chapter Fifteen

A/N – SO AS I DON'T PLAN ON DAMON SLEEPING WITH REBEKAH OR FOR THE WHOLE REBEKAH AND SAGE THING TO HAPPEN. I'M NOT SURE IF REBEKAH WOULD STILL KIDNAP HIM AND TORTURE HIM, BECAUSE SHE DID THAT BECAUSE HE PLAYED HER. ALTERNATIVE IDEAS WELCOME THOUGH, BECAUSE THERE ARE A FEW IMPORTANT THINGS THAT HAPPEN, STEFAN'S RESCUE OF HIM, THAT HALLUCINATION THING. JUST LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVE IDEAS AND STUFF TO GET TO THE SAME POINT.

Daphne wrinkles her nose as she digs through a pile of books

Daphne wrinkles her nose as she digs through a pile of books. Now she's not really having to hide it, there are magical books everywhere. Everywhere. She's looking for something. A book. Something to help with Stefan. But she emptied all of her books out at once, which was probably a mistake. The living room is piled high. Elena picks one up and frowns at the cover.

"Magical Water Plants Of The Highland Rocks" She reads out aloud as Daphne makes an annoyed noise. "What are you looking for?" Elena asks.

"Moste Potente Potions" Daphne answers. "Or Advanced Potion Making" Elena moves a few books to help her look. "Or Gran's cookbook" Elena pauses and gives her sister a weird look.

"Because they are all connected?" Elena teases, Daphne smirks a little.

"No, I need the potion books for something else, Gran's cookbook is for the potluck...I brought it downstairs and then..." She lets out a breath and motions to all the books. "Buried it"

"Can't you do a spell to find it?" Elena asks.

"Yeah...but I lost my wand in here somewhere too" Daphne complains, throwing her head back. Elena laughs and Daphne shoots her a look. She's barely slept which she is holding accountable for her scatterbrain because she is not a scatterbrain. "And I'm too tired to do wandless magic..." She rubs at her eyes and sighs.

"Daph" Elena starts, she hums. Elena is silent so Daphne lowers her hand. Elena nods to something on the floor and Daphne lowers her eyes. They both watch as the wand moves along the floor through the books. Daphne sighs and sets her hands on her hips as Pad bursts out of the books, dragging the wand along behind him.

"Pad!" Daphne scolds, he looks at her, caught out. "Give me the wand" Pad looks down at the wand in his hand and then hugs it closer to him, not wanting to give it up. "Give it to me" She and Elena share a look and Elena scoots around behind Pad. "You know you're not allowed to touch that" Daphne adds, scolding the niffler. Damon opens the front door and lets himself in. "Close the door!" Daphne scolds him. Damon quickly closes the door and gives the two of them a weird look.

"What's going on in here?" Damon asks them, amused. Elena straightens her clothing and shrugs. Trying to play nonchalant here, it's not her best attempt. 

"Nothing" She answers. Damon hums and raises an eyebrow. Daphne is staring down at something Damon can't see.

"Get him" Daphne states and she and Elena dive at Pad who squeals and runs away from them. "Pad!" Daphne scolds, scrambling after him.

"What's he stolen now?" Damon asks as he watches Daphne.

"He's got my wand" She answers with a huff.

"Why?" Damon draws out, she shoots him a look.

"It's the crystal on the end he's interested in...." She points out. "But he can't have it..." She dives again and Pad managed to slip through her grasp. She lets out a frustrated growl. Pad runs in front of Damon and he is quick to pick Pad up by his back foot so the niffler is hanging upside down with the wand in his hands. Damon gives him a look and Pad seems to smirk at him. Daphne moves closer to them and takes the wand from Pad. Daphne turns and points her wand into the room. "Accio" She casts and three books shoot out of the piles. Elena only just manages to duck them. Daphne snatches them out of the air and turns on Pad.

..........

Daphne stands in the kitchen, her potions books left on the side as she focuses on the cookbook, this is the more urgent matter as neither she nor Elena had prepared for the potluck, they've been busy. Elena stands at her side, ready to help if need be but Daphne picks up her wand instead of a knife. Damon leans against the counters watching the two of them. Daphne hums a little.

"It's been a while since I used these spells...to varying degrees of success" She admits as she opens the cookbook. "So..." She shrugs a little. Elena steps behind the counter, ready to hide if need be. Daphne takes a deep breath and waves her wand, just a little, a small movement and cupboards open, ingredients moving out and towards the counter. Damon sidesteps a large pot that floats past him. He's never seen magic being used like this. It's so domesticated. Daphne has her tongue stuck out a little as she concentrates.

"I just don't know why you want to bring chili to a potluck. Everybody brings chili" Damon complains as he looks over the recipe book just as Alaric enters the kitchen. "Hey, Ric"

"What's up?" Alaric asks as he stares at whatever is going on. Because this is beyond weird even for him. This is some bippity boppity stuff.

"What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?" Elena asks him as she watches the chili magically take hold in the pot, ready to be eaten as is. It's amazing.

"Ah. Those founders parties aren't really my thing" Alaric comments.

"Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili" Damon points out, Daphne shoots him a dirty look.

"It's an old family recipe, okay?" Daphne defends.

"Yeah! I know. I knew your old family. They made sucky chili" Damon tells her, she pokes his nose with her wand and gives him a look.

"Yeah, but I got magic, and they didn't" She counters with a smirk. He looks at her and smiles. She laughs a little and goes back to fixing up the food. Alaric watches the two of them. Watches the way Damon is looking at Daphne now she's not looking at him. Like she's this fascinating puzzle to figure out.

"Why are you here, exactly?" Alaric then asks. Damon nods at Elena.

"She knows" He points out.

"They think I'm going to break" Elena argues. "I'm not going to break. I am just going to keep watching Daph make chili with magic, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't want to be found" Elena admits, Damon and Daphne share a look, she shrugs a little.

"I, personally, think she's in denial" Daphne comments and gives Elena a look, Elena gives her one back.

"I'm not in denial," Elena argues back.

"No?" Daphne asks and then motions at her sister's neck. "You're still wearing that hideous necklace" She adds. "Isn't this the reminder of your unbreakable bond with Stefan?" Elena stares at her sister. "Plus you were crying like a baby all night"

"Hey" Elena scolds her, Daphne just smirks back.

"Just saying" Daphne defends herself. "Really fucking obvious that you're not over what happened, and to be honest, if he meant as much to you as your letters suggested, like you told me, then you shouldn't be" Damon tries the chili whilst everyone else is occupied, and yeah, he has to admit, it is a pretty good chili. Magic ingredient, obviously.