Chapter Fifty-Six

It's hard to drown out crying once it's been heard. Daphne is finding it hard to ignore Elena crying upstairs. But she wanted to be alone to deal with the days events. Daphne thought she should be drinking to get through it but whatever Elena wants to do is her way. So Daphne has to just sit on the couch and try and read her spellbook. Damon lets himself into the house and softly closes the door behind him before he moves across the room.

"Well, turns out you were right" Damon comments as he drops onto the couch next to Daphne who closes the book in her lap. "He pushed Klaus to the edge and Klaus blinked"

"Logic was sound" She repeats, he nods and lets out a breath.

"Klaus has been calling all the shots, and Stefan beat him at his own game. He was the better villain"

"You sound impressed" She comments, he nods.

"I'm a little proud" He admits. "And annoyed but...." His eyes soften as he gazes at her. "You gonna be okay?"

"Me?" She asks him. "Yeah. I'm not the one whose boyfriends gone of the deep end into the crazy pool" He snorts a little and then glances at her as she looks down at her book. He reaches over and caresses her face. She lets out a breath and closes her eyes, leaning into the touch. She can feel him moving, shifting closer to her before lips brush against hers. He's kissing her. She is surprised by it but does find herself kissing him back. But it doesn't take long for reality to click back into place. There was a reason she feels the way she does about things. She knows, deep down that she's being ridiculous. And that being with Damon isn't going to add more risk. Not really. It's just where her head is stuck. That fear over becoming that thing. Why would she risk it? She presses her hand to his chest and he lets out a breath. "Those things I told you that I worry about" She starts, he hums. "I still worry about them" He closes his eyes and sets his forehead against hers. "Letting myself...."

"Yeah" He leans back from her and sighs. "I get it"

"No, you don't" She argues. Because he has no idea. He can't even begin to guess why she feels this way. He tilts his head and draws a strand of her hair around his finger.

"I get it enough" He corrects himself. "You're not saying no" He points out and gives her a look. "Just not right now" He offers and then nods. "And I can work with that" She gives him a look. "Oh, come on, Red, you've ruined other women for me" She shakes her head. He leans forward and gives her a quick kiss before he pulls back. "Good night"

"Good night, Damon" She whispers as he leaves, her fingers coming up to touch her lips. She's finding it increasingly difficult to stick to her guns here. No one has ever looked at her, touched her, kissed her, like that before. Ever.

"Really?" She turns to find Elena on the stairs. "Does this have anything to do with me and Stefan being...rocky?" Daphne frowns at her. "Why you won't get involved with Damon" Elena elaborates.

"No" Daphne argues and leans on the back of the couch. "It's nothing to do with that" She assures Elena. She doesn't want Elena blaming herself for this. "Elena, please don't worry so much about my relationship with Damon, okay? It's fine" Elena sits on the stairs and shoots Daphne a look.

"Really?" She asks. "You push away every hot vampire that kisses you?"

"Okay, firstly, Damon is the first vampire I've kissed, if we don't count that Halloween party where I made out with Dandelion, but she is only half-vampire anyway" Elena wants to ask questions about that statement. "Secondly, it's not about him, it's about me. Thirdly, stop worrying..." Elena gives her a small smile. "You feeling any better?"

"No" Elena answers. "Not really"

"I'm trying really hard to figure out a way to fix Stefan" Daphne assures her as she waves the book in her hand at her. Elena nods. She knows how hard Daphne's trying to help them. How hard she is trying to save them. "I'm close, Elena, I just need a few more days, a week tops. But let's just get Jeremy settled in London, we can take tomorrow to ignore everything else going on" Elena snorts a little. As if it would be that easy for them to just forget about everything else.

.........

..........

The next afternoon, Elena and Jeremy are standing in the foyer of the Gilbert house with Damon, waiting on Bonnie and Daphne. Damon frowns a little and turns to the two siblings stood close by. He had no idea Daphne had a home in London.

"Have you ever been to her house?" Damon asks.

"No, I didn't know she was a witch till she came back here, didn't know about any of that stuff" Elena answers, Damon gives Jeremy a look.

"No, me neither" Jeremy answers. "The house, I knew about it, and I knew about the witch thing" He admits as his pygmy puff pokes itself out of his hood and Pad slides down the bannister followed by Daphne who carries a bucket with her. Bonnie gives Jeremy a warm smile as she enters the house, closing the door behind her.

"Hey, sorry, I'm late" Bonnie offers.

"You're not" Daphne assures her.

"What's with the bucket?" Damon asks. Daphne looks down at the bucket in her hands.

"Oh, it's a portkey" She shakes the bucket at them before setting it down in the middle of them.

"A what?" Jeremy asks.

"Well, I can't apparate that far with all of you, so a portkey is used to do what I can't...."

"Why are we all going anyway?" Jeremy asks. "Can't you just...send me there? Or I could get a flight"

"You're going to need me to get into the house, for now, and you'll need me to point out a few things once we get there, so I figured I would just show off my big house in London" She teases. "Okay...Everyone holds hands" She motions to them. Bonnie and Jeremy hold hands first, Jeremy then taking Elena's who then holds hers out towards Damon who pulls a face.

"Don't be a prude" Elena teases and wiggles her fingers. Damon takes her hand and then holds out his hand to Daphne who glances at it before she takes it.

"Okay, shall we sing kumbaya now?" He asks, Daphne just gives him a look before she smirks and then jumps into the bucket. With a whirl, they are all pulled along with her, Pad only just managing to grab onto Bonnie's sleeve to go with them.