Chapter Forty

Damon finds Daphne in the kitchen, leaning on the counter as she goes through her spellbook. She wanted to keep going through the spells for Stefan just whilst they wait for something to happen. Wait for dance. Wait for the plan to be set in motion. Just whilst she has a moment. He lets out a breath, standing behind her. Watching her work.

"Klaus is on his way," Damon tells her. Her eyes don't stray from her book though. She's so determined to fix his brother. And whilst, he knows it's not for him. Not all for him. It still means a lot that she seems to be working this hard for it.

"Good" She offers and draws her quill feather over her cheek, he touches the small of her back, drawing his fingers under the back of her shirt. "Damon" She scolds a little. He hums in question, moving his hand to her waist when she turns to face him. He's blocking her in against the cabinet behind her. "So basically every chance you get, you're going to try and touch me? Kiss me?" She teases a little, he smirks and shrugs.

"If it's the only way that we might actually get around to it, sure...why not?"

"Because we have more important things to be dealing with...like a hybrid who is out to kill us all?" He hums and then pulls a face. She has a point. "And allies that we can't trust" He lets out a breath and then leans back.

"But when this is over," He tells her, she chuckles a little.

"Sure" She assures him with a smirk. She's not really thinking of him taking it seriously. It's just par for the course with flirty banter. Not that she minds. She likes the banter. The playfulness. But he's soft to her too. "Do you trust him? Mikael?" He snorts and gives her a look.

"No"

"What about Stefan?"

"No. Not as long as he is under Klaus's control" He admits touching her arm.

"Then we need a better plan" She points out. He nods in agreement.

"I know what to do. You're just not gonna like it"

"Why?" She draws out and he wrinkles his nose. "No"

"Don't read my mind" He scolds a little.

"I didn't need to" She argues. "Really?" She whispers. He shrugs and nods. She lets out a breath. "It's actually not a terrible idea" He looks at her surprised. "If it protects her, then yeah. But I don't trust her either"

"Do you trust me?" He asks. She lets out a breath and meets his eyes.

"Yes," She answers.

"Then you have nothing to worry about" He assures her, holding her arms. He gives her an encouraging smile. But she can't help but feel worried about this. Her friends. Her neighbours. Her town is in danger. And he's her friend. She's willing to trust him here.

"I should go home and get changed" She offers, he nods a little and backs away from her, giving her the space to leave like she wants. But she hesitates a little before she turns and grabs her book and quill, then leaves. Damon lets out a breath and closes his eyes.

.........

.....

Daphne brushes her hair behind her ear as she walks towards the Lockwood Mansion. Plans changed apparently. The school flooding meant everything got moved to the Lockwood place. As if there isn't something incredibly suspicious about that. Maybe she's just looking too much into everything considering. She enters the house just as Klaus appears on the stage; the crowd cheers. Daphne sighs a little. Of course. She should have trusted her first instincts.

"Good evening everyone!" Klaus announces. "I wanna thank you for being here with me to celebrate! It's been a long time coming!"

"So much for Homecoming..." Daphne comments and then pulls a face, she is going to need a drink to get through this and a quiet corner to text Damon.

..........

Daphne checks her wand, now strapped to her thigh, thanks to her dress. She doesn't like her wand being so far away though. It's why she prefers it to be holstered on her forearm. She has a plastic cup of beer in her hand. It is still technically a high school party. No fancy flutes of champagne. Klaus walks up to Daphne.

"We haven't met" Klaus states as Daphne takes a drink.

"Perhaps there is a reason for that" She counters and turns to him.

"Klaus Mikaelson" She nods.

"I am aware who you are" She argues and takes another drink. He gives her the once over, trying to work out who she is. "I'm Daphne.." She tells him and then smirks. "Gilbert. I believe you...sacrificed my sister and my aunt and have been actively trying to destroy the rest of my family since" Klaus clenches his jaw. She smirks wider at him. "Can't say I'm all that impressed, to be honest...pretty cliche"

"You know who I am, yet you seem to be unafraid"

"Oh..." She holds out her hand at her side and twists her wrist. Something snaps within him and he gasps. "That's because...I'm not afraid of you"

"Witch" He growls, she hums and nods.

"And far more powerful than that little Bennett witch running around..." She takes a breath and mockingly pouts at him. "Enjoy the party...whilst you can" She points out and then walks away, humming to herself as she drinks from the cup.

"When Stefan said it was a witch that took down my father, I had assumed the Bennett witch to be behind it" He follows her. "Now I see that I was wrong" She scoffs a little. "So, seems I have you to thank for Mikael's demise"

"Don't flatter yourself" She counters. "I didn't do it for you....he went for Elena"

"Still I'm impressed," He tells her, she lets out an annoyed breath. "It's not easy for anyone, let alone a witch, to go for an Original"

"Well, let's just say that I have a plethora of spells you wouldn't believe....that can do things you cannot begin to imagine" She pours herself another drink when she reaches the table.

"People have been after me for 1000 years" Klaus states, stepping closer to her. "And I am always one step ahead. So whatever it is you're thinking of trying, go for it, give it your best shot" He leans closer to her. "You won't succeed" She hums a little and looks at him.

"Are you done posturing?" She asks him. He leans back from her and she takes a drink from the cup before walking away.

....

Damon walks up to the front door of the Lockwood Mansion. A hybrid is standing at the bottom of the steps acting as the doorman. Damon rolls his eyes and heads towards the house anyway.

"Invite only, vampire" The hybrid stops Damon from entering with a hand to his chest. Damon looks down at the hand on his chest. Offended.

"Here's my RSVP" Damon then rips his heart out and pushes the body into the bushes. "'Hybrid'" He throws the heart down and shakes his hand, blood flicking from it.