Chapter Twenty-One

Later; Damon watches Daphne as she walks a little away from the car, seemingly talking to herself, though he knows better. They've been talking for a while, he's not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. She seems rather persuasive though. If anyone is going to get Anna to help them, it might just be Daphne.

"So what's the deal with this girl?" Katherine asks leaning against the picnic table behind her. "You don't trust anyone" She adds as she watches him, trying to work out just 

"She's smarter than anyone else" Damon argues and folds his arms over his chest. Katherine cocks her head and then chuckles.

"Oh, that's adorable" She comments and Damon clenches his jaw. "You actually like her" Damon scoffs a little. "Thought you and dopple me were all... chummy "

"She's with Stefan" Damon argues.

"Since when has ever stopped you" Katherine comments. "Unless something changed....."

"Nothing changed" Damon counters, arguing with her. Not willing to let himself slip here.

"A spunky little redhead I'm guessing" Katherine smirks at him and strokes her fingers under her chin. Damon lets out an annoyed breath. He's barely understanding his own growing attraction and feelings for Daphne, he doesn't need this woman pointing it out to him. There is a whirl and a pop before Daphne is suddenly standing in front of him. Damon stumbles back from her, she chuckles and smirks at him.

"Hiya, Handsome" She teases, he lets out a breath and shakes his head. "You're looking for Mikael," She tells them as she folds her arms over her chest.

"Mikael?" Damon asks, she hums and nods.

"He's a vampire who hunts vampires" She adds. "But Anna warns....that we don't want to wake him. He will kill all of you"

"Where is he?" Katherine asks.

"Wake him?" Damon voices at the same time. He and Katherine then share a look. "It's time to go find the keys"

"Mm-hmm" Katherine agrees.

.............

Daphne sits in the open passenger side of the car, her head resting against the seat. She has a headache, which is understandable, her head was pounded on. But it might be more down to listening to Damon and Katherine bickering and arguing.

"Don't fall asleep" Damon scolds a little as he crouches in front of her. "You might have a concussion"

"Thanks for the concern, dick" She argues weakly. Damon snorts a little and sits her up a little, she lets out a breath.

"Come on, open your eyes and look me in the face whilst you insult me" He teases, she peers through an eye at him. "Don't you have a spell to fix that" She rolls her eyes as she turns, lifting her hand to her head, hovering it there as she concentrates. 

"Vulnera Sanentur" She casts and then lets out a breath when her headache eases up, the head wound stitching itself up. 

"I didn't know she was going to do it" He admits and shrugs. "She popped the trunk and whoa hey, there you are" She stares at him before she nods.

"I believe you" She assures him. He looks a little surprised by that. It's not often people do believe him. Not at his word. 

"First time anyone's ever said that to me" He teases a little and looks at her, she hums and gives a small smile.

"She took one for the team" Katherine adds standing behind Damon, Damon and Daphne turn to glare at her. "Everyone back home will thank you once Klaus is dead"

"Where's my phone?" Damon demands of her.

"Do you need to check in with Elena? Make sure it's okay you pummeled her big sister?" Katherine teases, Damon does not look amused though. 

"I know you have it" Damon warns.

"What can I say? I needed you to present here and now" He holds out his hand at her.

"Katherine, phone, now" She sighs and gives it to him and he looks at it. "Bonnie's been texting me"

"What is it?" Daphne asks him, pushing herself out of the car.

"It's Klaus" Damon answers, the two of them sharing a look.

"On turning back, Damon" Katherine warns him.

"Shut up, Katherine" Damon growls at her and shifts closer to Daphne. "Did Anna tell you where Mikael is?" She nods. "Right well...what do you wanna do here?"

"I'll write it down" She answers and casts a look at Katherine. "If I'm stuck with her. I'll cave her skull in"

"Maybe you should stay then" Damon comments with a smirk. He and Daphne sharing an amused look before she shakes her head.

"Elena's in trouble...I'm going back with you" He nods. He assumed that would be the case. She pulls her notebook and quill from her bag before she quickly writes down the instructions that Anna gave her before she rips the page from the book. Damon takes it from her and hands it and the car keys over to Katherine.

"We're going back," Damon tells her.

"You're going to get yourself killed. The Damon I remember wouldn't have been that stupid" Katherine scolds him. Daphne moves to Damon's side and surprises him by threading her fingers with his, holding his hand. He glances down at their joint hands, finds himself actually clutching to her. Katherine gives Damon a knowing look before he and Daphne disappears with the whirl and a pop.