Chapter Eighty-Three

It is almost dark when Daphne wakes, the first signs of sunlight shining in through the window in Damon's bedroom. She's laying in his bed when the light hits her eyes, waking her enough for her to throw her arm over her eyes to shield them. she can feel that it's been a while since she fell asleep. There is an unsettledness inside of her that tells her that she's been asleep for a while now. Though she doesn't exactly feel refreshed. She still feels tired. Drained. Exhausted. Astral projection is a big deal in the magical world. Costly. Not to mention doing spells whilst in there. She knows that she is going to be feeling it for a while. Daphne lets out a breath and then sits up. Her hair falls forward over her eyes as she remembers what she was doing before she fell asleep. Projecting. Hurting her friend. Saving her sister. Shockingly that is all one event. If she could have found a way around it without hurting Bonnie she would have, but connection and syphoning spells are hard work even for a seasoned witch. Severing them takes a lot of energy, which she spent, cutting off Esther from Abby and Bonnie. Daphne lets out a breath again and covers her face with her hands before a noise at her side alerts her to the fact she is not alone here. She loves her hands to find that Damon is lounging on the bed next to her, letting her go through her mental reawakening and readjustment.

"I tried to wake you a few times but you were dead to the world" He draws his fingers across her cheek. "I was a little worried but Bonnie assured me you were fine, just magically drained"

"Bonnie was here?" She asks, he hums and nods. She seems to then wake up instantly, turning to give him a look. "I hate keeping secrets" She scolds him a little. "I told you to tell Bonnie what I had to do to her mom"

"And I chose not to" He shrugs a little. Stands by his choice. Bonnie and Abby aren't currently looking to blame anyone for what happened, they just assumed it had something to do with Esther's linking spell. He doesn't think Daphne should throw herself at the blame here. If she does, then she might just lose her friend. Sue him. He thinks he's doing the right thing in protecting her from that.

"But waiting to tell her is going to make it worse" She complains and flops back against his bed, covering her face.

"She can't hold it against you, Red" He teases a little. "You've been asleep for three days" She runs her fingers through her hair and closes her eyes. Bonnie is going to hate her for what she did. Though Daphne knows it was better than the two alternatives. Abby could be a vampire or actually dead right now. "Are you sure telling her is the right thing to do?" He asks her, she sits up and gives him a look. "You losing a friend because you did the right thing....."

"Damon" She scolds a little. Telling the truth is the right thing to do, no matter the consequences. She's had enough of secrets. She's had enough of them to last a lifetime and then some. She's working on being honest with those around her now that she can and should be. She softens a little and then realises. "Elena and Jeremy?" It's been three days, anything could have happened to them.

"Elena is fine" He assures her as he brushes her hair back from her face. "And nothing from Jeremy, so I assume he is fine in that big ole house with the screaming portrait, sticky-fingered niffler and whatever the hippogriff is" He adds, she sighs and nods. She assumes that too. If there has been no news from Jeremy or Kreacher then everything is fine on that end. Damon's phone pings with a new message and he lingers with Daphne, not wanting to leave her whilst she is still recovering from her magical binge. She nudges him, implying that she wants him to just look at his phone and find out what's going on, but he doesn't want bad news to break their peaceful morning. She nudges him again and he moves, turning to grab his cell phone from the bedside table. Damon pulls a face as he reads the text message on his phone. She could simply read his mind and get the answer she wants,

"What is it?" She asks him, he hums a little and then leans over to kiss her head.

"Sheriff emergency" He answers and then hops out of bed to get dressed. "I have to deal with this"

"Do you need my help?"

"Whilst your numerous talents would be very useful, you need to rest" He counters and motions to the mug of coffee on the side.

"Wow," She teases as she picks up the mug. "Damon Salvatore. Taking care of little old me..." He smirks and glances over his shoulder at her.

"Only for you" He points out. "I think you've earned it, Red" She hums and nods in agreement, she's worked hard since coming back to town. She's really worked hard, pushing her magic to its limits, risking her own death and curse. She would have been safe taking that job opportunity as an auror or joined Lyra with the dragons. But she made her choice. She came home. She has to deal with that and everything that it brings. It did bring her to Damon. And despite everything, she, Elena, and Jeremy are closer than ever. It's not all bad. But it's not exactly perfect either. There is definitely an air of 'things could be better' to her life. Damon touches her chin and she lifts her head to look at him.

"Do you want me to get you food?" He asks, she shakes her head and smiles softly, even after three days she's not really feeling all that hungry. She just wants to finish her coffee and then maybe sleep some more, but food will likely come after that. Damon finishes getting dressed as Daphne drinks her coffee, contemplating how she is going to tell Bonny that she is the reason her mother has lost her magic. It is not going to be a fun conversation, far from it, and she might just lose her best friend and magical alley, but the truth is worth it. She knows she has to start telling people the truth. She has to start trusting those around her with it. With the truth of what she has done. With the truth of what she is. She knows she has to sit Elena and Jeremy down and tell them everything. Caroline and Bonnie too. Whilst not the closest growing up, they are all knee-deep in the supernatural and deserve the truth.