Epilogue

Damon didn't want to leave Daphne. He didn't. But Elena's surprise and sudden resurrection meant he had to. He had to deal with that. Or he had to at least get the others on it. So he, reluctantly, left Daphne and took Elena from the morgue with some help from Meredith. Brought her back to the house where Stefan and Jeremy talk about it downstairs. Damon wants answers too but not right now. Right now, he just wants to be alone, or as alone as he can get. He sits on Daphne's bed with Pad in his lap. The niffler plays with Daphne's ring with one hand, whilst his other clutches at Damon's thumb. He knows what's happened. Damon can see that much. Pad has been at her side since she was eleven years old, it must be hard for him. Damon is dreading having to tell Harry and the others what happened too. Because someone has to and Elena is going to have other things on her mind in the next few days and weeks. Someone has to tell her wizarding family that she's gone, there might be a procedure about something or other. He doesn't know. He lets out a breath and glances around her bedroom. It is exactly as she left it. Her bed is still unmade, clothes litter the floor, and potion ingredients and books rest on the dresser. It feels like she is going to walk in the door any minute complaining about something or mumbling about some spell or book or something. He glances at the door. He knows it isn't going to happen, but he hopes. Pad releases his thumb and turns to face Damon. Pad holds up the ring to him, his eyes sad and teary.

"I don't know what you want me to do with this" Damon admits but takes the ring from the creature anyway. It is rare for him to hand over anything shiny and here he is, holding out this ring to him. Damon lets out a breath and turns the ring around between his fingers. Pad stares up at him, looking at him as if Damon has all the answers. He has nothing to give him except companionship he supposes. Daphne would hate for Pad to go neglected in this. Damon takes a deep breath and then gives the animal a small smile. "Guess it's just you and me now, huh, bud?" He tells him as he curls his fingers around the ring in his palm, holding to it tightly. Pad settles in Damon's lap, curling up against his thigh. Damon doesn't know what to do with himself now. He had this whole plan with Daphne. This was supposed to be their shot at a break. But even if Daphne had been alive, with Elena in transition, there is no way Daphne would have left with him now. They would have been drawn back in. He closes his eyes and shakes his head. None of it matters anymore.

Damon, Daphne, and Pad's story will continue in Book Two...Coming Soon.