Introduction/ prologue

You see, I've never been quite like your typical London girl.
Tracksuits, trainers, oversized shirts and dungarees are some of the only clothes you'll ever catch me wearing.
It's gotten to the point where strangers think I'm actually a teenage boy. I don't mind it really. 'Girl' has never been a word that I'd use to describe myself, besides 'girlfriend' of course. Being called a boy doesn't bother me and I've never been the one to correct people. Its jarring.
This time last year, I came out to my family as non-binary and announced I was changing my name to Rye. Fortunately, people in this day and age, are more educated about the LGBTQ+ community than they were around 50 years ago. My family were quite accepting, once I explained what being non-binary meant to me and that I would be keeping my pronouns the same. I found out that it wasn't much of a surprise to them.
As a little kid, I would wear my brother's clothes, play fight in the mud and at one point, I broke my wrist jumping off the sofa pretending to be black panther.
In all honesty, not much has changed. Other than the fact that, I no longer have a huge curly afro.

Now I have short hair and work as a part-time waiter in the most popular cafe in Camdon town, 'Dream café'. Owned by my older brother Jordan.
A few months back, he moved away to Colorado to study dolphins, so I started working here to help out. He still has control over the business, so he is expected to visit every once in a while, to check on the cafe and make any changes to the rota if needed. But we are usually alright so he leaves most of the important stuff to me.

I really enjoy working here. It's fun, you get to meet new people and even slip an extra cookie in the customer's bag- if they're cute-. It's also helping me save money for whatever-the-hell I decide I want to do with my life.
My plan is to enjoy my last few years as a teenager and "cross that bridge when I get there" as the saying goes.
Although, my parents aren't really happy with my life choices at the moment. Well mostly my mum. Dad just goes along with it because mum is clearly the alpha in our house. She thinks I should be studying in college like my twin brother Keign. She always says 'The earlier you start working towards your dream job, the more likely you will become successful in the future'. Keign is studying science and medicine because he wants to be a doctor like our dad and has ever since we were little kids, back when we actually looked alike.

Nowadays, no one would even guess that we are related since we are such different people.
Come to think of it, It makes sense that my parents would want me to become highly successful. Everyone in my family is. My mum is an author, she takes her novels as serious as my dad takes performing surgery. And you already know Jordan is a marine biologist.
My grandma owns a popular Caribbean restaurant in Barbados that is over 60 years old. She recently retired and moved down to the UK 5 years ago.
I'm the only one that doesn't know what I want to do. Jordan said I should just take over the café as a full time job but I shot that suggestion down REAL quick.
Don't get me wrong, Its a great job. I mean I wouldn't have met my best friends Eijai and Eli otherwise, but I can't see myself working there forever. Even if it is the only reason mum has left me alone about my career.

Speaking of Eijai and Eli, I've been meaning to invite them to a party at my friend Lilah's house. Lilah's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. We have known each other since we were babies.
She's turning 17 on Saturday. Anyone who knows Lilah, knows that her parties are always the hype of the summer and definitely something you don't want to miss out on.
The whole of yr. 11 and sixth form at Kingston high is going to be there and let's not forget Louis Jayson, the hottest guy in town.

I've been crushing on him since the first year in high school. Me, as well as every other girl who had working eyes. Even the boys weren't immune, you could see the jealously burning inside them. Louis got all the girls.
I gotta give it to the guy. He was the one thing tempting me to stay at that dump of a high school, but yeah, no.
Home-school is way better.
This party will be the first time I'll be seeing my old class mates since I left 8 months ago. And if I'm going to be honest, I'm sort of nervous. One thing you should know about me is that parties aren't really my thing. I'm more of a -hang - out - with - my - friends - until - the - sun - sets, kinda person. Hence why I'm bringing Eijai and Eli. I am not going alone.

(Side note from the Author)
Everything in this book is fantasy and created by me other than the country they live in. This book is copyrighted and all ownership goes to Reign Welch.