Chapter 1

My alarm chimed at 7:50am, which meant it was time to get ready for work.
I drew open my curtains to see the warm summer sun, shining brightly in the clear blue sky. I loved mornings like these.
With a spring in my step, I showered, put on my Dream Café work jumper and a regular pair of grey trousers then went down to have breakfast.
At the kitchen table, Keign sat arms crossed, laying beside his untouched plate of chocolate toast and his biology revision book. Mum and dad's keys weren’t hanging on the hook, so they must have left early for work. I tip-toed towards him and gently picked up the book, roughly whacking him on the head with it.
“Rye!” He yelled. His head was still face down on the table.
“Morning, sleepyhead.”
“Yeah, hi.” He said miserably.

“Why are you up? I thought you didn’t have college on a Thursday.”
He gradually lifted his head up, revealing bloodshot eyes and a serious case of bedhead.
“Oh my gosh! You look terrible!”
“Thanks.” He said sarcastically.
“Didn’t you get any sleep last night?”
“No. I was up all night.”
“Doing what?” I asked.
“Playing Fortnight.” He said hesitantly.
“You’re an idiot.”
“In my defence, I forgot all about the trip to London medical centre until Jackson called me an hour ago, asking me if I knew about it.”
I grabbed a croissant from the cupboard, slipped my feet in my shoes and sat beside him at the table.

“Okay well, you better go upstairs and do something about that birds nest on your head.”

He sighed and stood up, dragging himself towards the staircase.
“And Maybe splash some water in your eyes while you’re there. You look like The walking dead!” I shouted.

“Alright!” He yelled angrily back.
I hooked my keys around my neck and swung my rucksack on one shoulder.

“See ya Keign!”
“Bye.” He grunted.
I speed walked down the street and past the supermarket. Then waved to Mr Harris, the owner of The BookCave, to which I was a regular visitor to on my half an hour breaks. I walked a little further, passing two more shops until I was stood outside Dream Café. It was 8:30 now, which meant I was just on time.
As I peered through the glass window, I could see the shop was quite empty for what it’s usually like when it first opens. Eijai was stood at the counter serving a customer ,what looked like, an ice coffee. He noticed me peering through the glass, smiled and beckoned for me to come in.
I pushed open the door, listening out for the usual jingle of the bell above it. One of my favourite sounds.

“How long were you out there staring through the glass?” he asked.
“About 2 minutes.” I replied.
“Just when I think you can’t get any weirder, you prove me wrong.”

I side stepped around the counter and behind Eijai. He was stood in front of the coffee machine, concentrating intently on making an order. Specifically, Frappuccino with caramel sauce. Eijai and Eli had been working here as long as me, so you would expect us to be on the same level when it came to making coffee, but nope. I knew each different kind of coffee and its recipe so well, I bet I could make it with my eyes closed. When grandma helped Jordan first open the shop, I was 15. I would sit behind the counter and watch as he served customers and whisked up all the many different kinds of Coffee. Espresso, Cortado, Cappuccino, Americano, Galão. I knew them all like the back of my hand. That’s why, while I was stood observing Eijai from behind, watching as he progressed to the next step of the recipe. I was almost impressed. But I also noticed the slightest flaw.
“And... just when I think you finally mastered the art of making a Frappuccino, you ruin it with one single mistake.” I smirked.

“No, I swear I got it right this time.”

“Look. It says 1 table spoon of sugar and 2 table spoons of chocolate syrup. Not the other way round.”

“Ugh! I do this every time.” He grunted.

“You’re getting there. Just top it with extra caramel sauce and they will never know.” I winked.

I went in the back to grab an apron and a pair of gloves. Eli was stood by the cooker frying sausages. Another employee was busy cooking pancakes, while the rest were spread out across the kitchen, making a cornucopia of different meals. From smoothies and fruit bowls to omelettes with ham and cheese. My job was to help everyone out where I could and check that everyone was working on their set tasks.
“Hey.”
“Hey, Rye.” Eli said.
“Need a hand?” I asked, as I tied the apron in a bow at the back.
“Sure.”
For the rest of that morning, I made eggs and sausages with Eli, while simultaneously checking on Eijai every few minutes. The shop began to fill up fast after it hit 10 o’clock. Almost all the tables were full and the bell was constantly jingling. That just meant we had to work a bit harder and by the time it was noon we had all skipped our breaks and were exhausted.

“Thank goodness, that’s the end of our shift because I could literally fall asleep right here, right now.”  We were all slumped over the table with wet cloths in our hands from cleaning.

“You can say that again.” Eijai said.
“I need to go home and change because I smell like sausages and grease.” Eli groaned.
“The guys who are doing the night shift should be here in a sec, so you guys can head out if you want.”

“Are you sure?”  Eijai asked.

“Yeah go. Everyone else is gone.”
“Thanks Rye.”
They both threw their wet table cloths into it’s basket.
“See ya Rye.” They said as they headed through the kitchen out to the car park.

I waited a little longer for the next employees to arrive then left the shop and walked slowly down the road back to my house. Crashing on the sofa as soon as I got in.

The next day.
Friday morning wasn’t as nice as the day before.
I opened my curtains to find that it was dark, grey and pouring rain. You had to make the most of the warm sunny days in England because this was typical London weather. Unpredictable.
I put on my blue crew neck and black joggers, brushed my hair then ran downstairs to find mum.
“Mum!”
“Mum?”
Oh that’s weird, mum’s usually in the kitchen making breakfast. Maybe I’ll check in her office.
I knocked on the door and cautiously peeked my head through the gap. But she wasn’t in there either.
“Keign.”
“What.” Keign groaned.
I stood leaning against the door frame, not wanting to step any further into his room. It was disgusting. Candy floss tubs, crisp packets and cans of diet coke scattered all over the carpet. Clothes spilling out of his drawers and his bed unmade. Typically what you would expect from a teen boy’s bedroom. Keign was sat at his desk on his computer, the surface completely covered with papers and revision booklets. There was a bulletin board just above the desk with photographs of his childhood(mostly, of me and him) stuck on with colourful pins. The rest of the space was filled up with school letters and daily reminders on sticky notes.
“Alright, chill grumpy guts. I just wanted to ask you something.”
“Don’t call me that.” Keign said, concentrating on his work.
“Where’s mum? She isn’t in the kitchen or her office.”
“I don’t know, ask dad”
“Is dad here?” I asked
“I thought you said you were going to ask me something.”
 “ ‘Something’ implies that you are asking about one thing.”
“Really Keign, Stop being an ass and answer my question.”
“Ugh, fine he’s here. Downstairs in the basement. It’s Friday remember?”
“Dad’s been talking about the football Cup finals for the entire week.”

“Oh yeah, thanks.” I said.

“Yeah whatever. Now leave me alone.”

“Alright grumpy guts.” I teased.

“DON’T CALL ME THAT!” he yelled, angrily.
He must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed today because he’s in some a bad mood. Could just be puberty, but he’s usually highly tolerant to my annoyance.
“Geez! lighten up a little. College really isn’t doing you any good.”
“If anything it’s made you even more…… grumpy.”

Keign stood up abruptly, his whole body tense and his hands clenched into tight fists.

“If you call me that ONE more time you’re going to regret it.”

“OK! I’m sorry.”
I threw my hands up in surrender, stumbling back towards the door.

Keign sighed frustratedly to himself, sitting on his bed with his hands covering his face.

I trod carefully across the carpet towards his bed, trying my utmost best to dodge all the trash. It was like I was back to being 6 again, playing don’t step on the cracks. The game Keign and I used to play, every single morning, on the journey to school.
I sat down beside him on his bed with my arm around his shoulder.
“Keign, I know we aren’t as close as we were when we were kids, but you’re my twin.”
“I know when something’s bothering you.”
“Other than you...” He mumbled under his breath.
I jabbed my elbow forcefully into his hip.
“Ow! But you are tho!” He shrieked.
“OK, I guess that’s fair.” I shrugged
We both sat there for a moment in silence. I waited patiently for him to say whatever was on his mind.
“It’s this test that I’m revising for.”
“It’s the biggest test of the year and I just don’t want to fail.”

“When’s the test?” I asked

“June 15th.”

“Oh that’s in two weeks. Do you know what you need?” I said,  jumping up excitedly.

“I swear, if you’re going to say I need to go out for a run you might as well leave now,
Because I’m NOT wearing dad’s running shorts.”

“What? NO!” I giggled.
“I was going to say you need to get out though.”
“You should come to Lilah’s party with me tomorrow.”

“Uh uh, nope. Not happening.”

“Keign, come onnnnn! it’ll be fun.”
“Plus, you’ll be going with me, I REALLY don’t want to go alone.”
“And I Really... don’t care.” Keign said meanly.
“Pwease, they’ll be ice cream, and candy floss.”
“I know how much you love candy floss,
And if it’s boring then we’ll leave early.”
Keign got up and sat on- what I call- his spinny chair. He spun around once then stopped to face me. Sighing deeply and narrowing his eyes as he stared at me in thought.
“I’m guessing you won’t leave me alone otherwise, so fine.”

“Yessss!” I did a little celebratory dance, bouncing lightly on the spot and pumping my fists in the air.

“But just so you know, I’m only going for the candy floss.”

“Did I ever tell you that you’re my favourite twin?”
“I’m your only twin, Rye”.

“And I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Keign rolled his eyes and tried to hide his smile.

“Ooooo, we could wear matching bow ties.” I eagerly tugged on his arm.

“Rye, don’t push it.”

Later that day I texted Eijai to see what he was up to and also attempt to persuade him and his twin brother to tag along to the party. He replied back to me within a few minutes.
I’m at the café right now.
Almost finished my shift
I’ll call you after.
I texted Back
Ok
Almost finished already?! Its two o’clock so you must have had an early shift today.  Didn’t you have school today?
 He sent back a picture of him in the café kitchen, wearing a blue, netted chef hat stood in front of the oven. He was smiling.
 Nope. I finished all my studies.
Got the day off and decided to take an extra shift.
An hour left, talk to you in a bit J

While I waited, I decided to complete some homework that my mum had insisted I should have done yesterday.
My online teacher had sent her an email saying I was ,quote on quote, “falling behind in my psychology course”. He should never had told her that because that gave mum another excuse to complain about, how I’m always at Lilah's house and how binge watching Netflix isn’t going to help me pass my psychology exam coming up. (Too much screen time isn’t good for me, blah blah blah).
 Then she proceeded to compare me to my brother saying, I should take my work as seriously as he does, and that she never has to worry about him because he always sends it in on time.
1.     I never wanted to do psychology anyway, I have no interest in it, but it was the easiest subject on the list.
2.      If she was so worried about my screen time, she shouldn’t have put me on ONLINE SCHOOL.
3.     Keign isn’t all that perfect; he’s snuck out every Thursday night for the past month through the garden (to our neighbour’s house) to see his best friend Kyle. When he knows our parents would go completely INSANE if they found out. God knows why he would want to take a risk like that. I only know because he’s texted me numerous times at two o’clock in the morning, asking me to help untangle him out of the bush he snuck back through. Plus, I made him pay me ten pounds, every time, for me not to tell.

An hour later, Just as I finished the last word on my psychology essay, my phone rang (well vibrated) loudly on my desk. I picked it up and answered it.

“Hey Eijai.”

“Hey Rye, what’s up?” he said.

“I was just wondering if you and Eli want to come to my friend Lilah’s party tomorrow? if you’re free.”

“Wait, Lilah Chase?”

“Yeah, you know her?”

“Well not personally, but the boys at my football club were all talking about her party saying it's going to be lit.”
“I had no clue what they were talking about.” He said.

“So you’ll come?”

“Yeah sure, I mean, it beats staying at home and listening to my dad yell at the TV all day.”

“Your dad’s watching football too, huh?” I asked.

“Yeah. I think I’m partially deaf because of it.”

“Same, I feel your pain.”

“Meet me at my house at 7:30pm tomorrow
And see if your dad will let you bring the car.” I said.

“Oh yeah! good idea. I’ll ask Eli if he wants to come but you know he can’t turn down a party.”

“Yeah. See you tomorrow”

“See ya, Rye.”

I hung up, grabbed my laptop from my desk and put on my favourite movie, Back to the future ii because, why not?
Several cookie dough ice-cream tubs later, (shh! Don’t tell mum) I glanced at my alarm clock on my nightstand.
WOW! It was 6:30pm already.
It would probably be a good idea to ask dad if I can go to this party before mum gets home. I know mum will say no. But dad, he’ll agree with a little persuasion.
I crept past Keign’s bedroom, careful not to interrupt him again but when I reached his room, his door was ajar and his black-out curtains were drawn. He was laying in bed, wrapped up in his duvet like a turtle in its shell. Snoring extremely noisily. Almost as loud as dad. Maybe worse.

As I made my way downstairs, I heard dad yell, “YES! GO MAN U!!!” enthusiastically at the TV and it scared the living daylights out of me.
I swear if you looked at me close enough you could probably see my heart slamming against my ribcage.
He must of decided to switch to the bigger TV, because he was now in the living room.

“Dad, Geez! tone it down. Keign’s sleeping.”
“Oh, sorry minx.”
He’s always been a hard-core Man United fan. He bought all the newly released football kits over the years and keeps them all locked up in thick, glass picture frames, hung all over his office walls like his own personal museum. Dad has even been lucky enough to have a few of his kits signed by the team members and treasures them the most. There's a notice on his office door clearly stating “Everyone other than me and Mary Rose Parker is NOT allowed any further” and its been there for as long as I can remember. Curiosity got the better of me sometimes, I would sneak in when he was out and wander around. Once, I found his secret stash of cookies in the bottom drawer of his desk and I’d nick some when I was peckish. However, As far as dad knows, I’ve never stepped foot in his office. Only ever observing the ‘Wall of fame’ from afar.
He was still engrossed in the match, I thought maybe he’d forgotten I was standing there beside the sofa, contemplating how I could approach the conversation.
Dad paused the TV and focused his attention on me.
“OK, you’ve been standing there silently for a while, that means you want something.”

“Why would you think that?” I grinned, cheekily.
He raised his eye brow.
“Fine, Can I go to Lilah’s birthday tomorrow?”

“Mmhmm, let me think about it.”

“Dad pleeeeease! Keign’s coming with me and I promise we’ll be back on curfew.”

“You know; your mother is going to be harder to convince, but since Keign is going with, I’m sure he’ll keep you out of trouble.”

“I’m not that much of a trouble maker anymore dad.”

“Did you forget why you got kicked out of Kingston high?” he asked.

“That was a long time ago.”

 “You and three other students broke into the headmistress’ office 3 HOURS before school opened, and covered it ceiling to floor in slime AND let’s not forget the numerous detentions and phone calls we’ve had from your teachers over the years.”

“The headmistress has had it out for me since day one.”

“It took them a whole entire week to get the slime off the walls, not to mention we had to pay a £300 fine for your foolishness.” Dad said.

“I said I was sorry.”

“And we forgave you Rye, but you know you’ve been a troublemaker since you were yea high.”
 “That’s why I call you minx.”

“But I've been doing good since I started working at Jordan’s café.”

“Okay you can go, as long as Keign keeps an eye on you. Actually scratch that, he needs to keep BOTH eyes on you.”
“Thanks dads.”

“Now come and watch the game with me. It’s starting to get good.”

The day of the party
Buzz! Buzz!
“Ugh! shut up. It’s too early.”

I rolled clumsily in my bed and groped around for my alarm clock with my eyes tightly shut and the covers still over my head.
When I hit it enough times that it shut off, I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.  I dreamt that I was queuing up for the sickest basketball trainers in the world. They were high tops. a slick leather kind of black material and with a gold star that glistened in the sunlight placed on the outside (where your ankle would be).  It was limited edition. I was stood in a line of hundreds of people, getting frustrated with impatience as I inched forward, moving at the pace of a snail.
As I reached the halfway point, I could see kids I recognised leaving the shop. Their Faces filled with joyful grins as they cradled their fresh kicks like a new born baby. That only made me angrier. Hour and hours flew by and It felt like I was getting no where. There were still people in front of me, not as many as before but, my turn was still at least another 30 minutes away. The sky had slowly morphed from baby blue to a peachy shade of pink, making the clouds look like fluffy balls of candy floss. I knew if I stayed any longer it would be dark, so I decided it might a good Idea to go home. But as I was about to abandon my space in the line, the 30 people in front of me began to disperse and suddenly I was standing right in front of it. The new limited edition trainers were within my reach. I stretched out my arms to grab them from the shelf, my fingers skimming the edge of the leather when.....
Gong! Gong!
Someone burst into my room banging (what sounded like) a wooden spoon on a frying Pan.

“Ahhhh!”
The sound shocked me out of my sleep, causing me to tumble out of bed.  When I finally got up, Keign was curled up on the floor, creasing.

“What was THAT for? it's Saturday and it’s only 8am.”

“We’ve been calling you for 20 minutes straight.”
“Mum says we’re having a family meeting.”

“Why did you have to wake me up like that though?” I asked, my voice all groggy.

“Thought it would be fun and it was.”  “You should have seen your face.”

“Ha-ha, very funny.” I said sarcastically. “Now get out.”

“Alright, grumpy guts.”

I tossed a pillow at Keign as he sprinted downstairs.

Guess I deserved that one.

 Reluctantly, I got up, draped my duvet over my head and went downstairs to the living room.
As I reached the bottom, I looked up and saw mum and Keign sitting at the kitchen table eating pancakes. Dad was there too but he had his nose stuck in the ‘Camdon Times’.

“Morning mum, where were you yesterday?”
“Morning honey, I was out with Lisa and a few friends for a girls night.
  Lisa is Lilah’s mum. They’re always hanging out with each other and having ‘girls nights’. So much that mum is hardly ever home. Lisa is an artist and gets a pretty good amount of cash for her paintings. Recently, mum and Lisa have collaborated on the novel that my mum is in the process of writing  called A child’s dream. Lisa has been working on illustrating it. Hence, the recurring girl’s nights. I’m not complaining though because when dad has a long shift at the hospital and mum’s away partying with Lisa and her work friends, me and Keign have the house all to ourselves.
“Do you want some pancakes? I left some for you in the microwave.” Mum asked. Slowly removing the duvet off my head and kissing my cheek.
  “Yeah, thanks mum.” I smiled, warmly.

Grabbing my chocolate chip pancakes on the way, I slid into my usual seat at the table, said morning to dad and glared at Keign (Who still had a huge grin on his face from earlier) before tearing a piece out of my breakfast.

“So what’s this family meeting about mum?” I said, with my mouth full.

“Just wanted to catch up with you guys, see how we’re all getting on with our lives.”

“How’s college son?”

“Oh it's ok, I’m revising for my big biology test in two week.”

“Oh yes, you’ll do great. just remember not to study too hard.”

“I will try not to, mum.” Keign answered.

“And how’s your career babe?”

I swear I just saw a slight glare in mum’s eye directed at me. OH! I see what she’s doing. This is her way of telling me that she hasn’t forgotten that I haven’t picked my career yet.
Great, I had a feeling this was going to be about me. 

“Me? Oh great sweetie, I have a surgery to perform on Monday. Just a simple procedure.” Said dad, not bothering to take his eyes off the newspaper.

“What about you Rye, have you figured out what you want to do yet?” mum asked.

“Actually, yeah I have.”

“Oooo! What is it?” Mum said eagerly.

“I was thinking I might want to work in the corner shop.”

“What?”  Mum’s jaw fell open with disgust.

Keign choked on his water staring at me in confusion. I gave him a subtle wink.

“Oh that’s great Rye.” Dad said.
“Me and your mother definitely think its an improvement, don’t we?”
Dad nudged mum gently in the side, waiting for her to agree with him, but evidently she was not impressed.
“Yeah, its an .... improvement.”  Mum said, half-heartedly.
“Thanks, do you know what? I actually have to go and write up a draft application right now.” I grinned.
“Like you always say ‘The earlier you start working towards your dream job the more likely you will become successful in the future’.”
From my peripheral vision, I caught a glimpse of Keign struggling to restrain himself from laughing.

“Keign, can you give me a hand please?”

“What? oh yeah, sure.”

“Thanks for breakfast!” I bellowed, as we both dart up the staircase.

Once we were out of earshot, we burst out laughing.

“Wow, Rye I can’t believe they actually thought you were being serious.”

“I know. The look on mum’s face was priceless.”

“By the way, we leave for the party at 7:30pm.”

“Cool.” Keign said,  on the way to his bedroom.

“Oh and Keign?”

“Yeah.” Keign said.

“Wear something other than your blue tracksuit.” I said.

“Yeah, whatever.”

“And don’t be embarrassing.”

“Don’t count on it.”

I rolled my eyes and headed to the bathroom to get myself ready.

 The day flew by faster than I imagined. Mum left that afternoon for a hair appointment at the salon and dad had his nurse uniform on, ready to go work, for the long nightshift ahead of him. I was slumped at my desk, mindlessly doodling in my notebook when the doorbell rang.

“RYE, there are people at the door for you!” Dad called.
I shoved my note book in the top drawer of my desk, grabbed my phone then hurried down the stairs, hoping that dad hadn’t found an excuse to go off on a tangent about sports.
I made it to the living room just in time. Dad had his rucksack hung on one shoulder, looking like he was about to leaving for work.
“Hey dad, are you going now?”
“Yeah, nightshift unfortunately. You’re mother knows you’re going, so make sure you and Keign are back on curfew, or call to let her know that you’re going to be late.”
“Alright dad.”
“Nice to meet you Eijai.” Dad shook his hand.
“You too, Sir.” He said respectfully.
“Bye Son!!!” Dad yelled up to Keign.
“Bye!!!” Keign yelled back.
Dad walked across the yard to the garage door to get his car.

“Hey Eijai.” I finally said. “You all ready to go?”
“Yeah.”
“My brother Keign is coming, if that’s ok?”
“Sure.”
“Keign let’s go!!!” I yelled up the stairs.
“COMING!”                                                
I glanced past Eijai. Dad was backing out of the drive way. At the same time, I noticed Eli waving frantically from their dad’s bright red, Ferrari Portofino. I waved back.
“Sick! your dad let you bring the convertible.” I said.
“Yeah, under the condition that I drive.”
“Well yeah, I mean Eli is kind of a crazy driver.”
“Hey! what’s the point in having a sick car and not using it at its full potential?” said, Eli.

“Um, the point is that we don’t want to get killed, bro.”

“You guys are so boring.”
Finally, when Keign was ready to go, we got in the car and I introduced the boys to each other.

“Keign, this is Eijai and Eli.”
“Hi.” Said both the boys.
“HI, wow you two really are identical twins aren’t you?” Said Keign.

“Yep that’s us, it has its perks and downsides.” Eli said.

“Yeah tell me about it, I’m glad me and Rye aren’t identical twins. I wouldn’t want to deal with people getting us mixed up all the time.”

Eijai and Eli looked back and forth between me and Keign through the car mirror with a perplexed look on their faces. Until it clicked.

“RYE!!!” the twins said in unison.

“How come you didn’t tell us that you had a twin?!”

“Yeah Rye.” Eli said, sounding hurt.

“Didn’t I?”

“NO!!” they both yelled.

“I’m sorry! I thought I did.”  “It’s not a big deal.”

“It is.” Eli argued

“We obviously have some catching up to do but first let’s get to this party.”