Chapter 9, Louis' interlude

I’ve been here for 48 hours now.

Two full days of staring at the same plain four walls, I feel like I’m in a prison cell.

I don’t even know why I’m still here, I’m fine.

My chest doesn’t hurt that much now. Only when I have to clean it. it looks sort of gnarly but the nurse said, its all part of the recovery process.

Every time I look at my stitches, it brings me back to that night. The petrified look on Rye’s face in the ambulance. The blood. The sirens.

I can’t remember all of it, just fragments; like random puzzle pieces scattered around my brain that I have to put together. Pieces of the moment. The doctor said, it must be caused by the concussion, when I hit my head on the coffee table.

But the one image I can’t seem to get out of my head is his face.

My mum doesn’t know. She thinks I got roughed up in football practice. Sliced by some boy’s cleats. I don’t know how to tell her the truth.

That I lost my virginity, got my girlfriend pregnant and her dad beat the shit out of me because of it.  Its hard enough having to tell her that Rye’s pregnant. So imagine what’s gonna happen when I tell her that she’s having twins!

She’s probably going to think I’ve gone completely insane. I wouldn’t blame her, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it myself.

I’m not even dealing with the worst of it, Rye’s family have completely grounded her.

She’s not allowed to leave the house, and she’s definitely not allowed to see me.

Its killing me not being able to see her. It hurts way more than the bruises. Than the cuts in my skin.

 I’ve had so many girlfriends. More than I can count on one hand. But none of them can compete with the way I feel about Rye.

Rye’s sweet, kind, loving. The way she cares about her family. The way she  stares off into the distance when I’m driving. Stuck in her thoughts, Its like she drifts off into her own little world. Her soft, smooth, irresistible lips and her soft light brown skin. Her big bright brown eyes, the way they glisten in the sun light. They way they stare deeply into mine. Luring me in. Its like she stares right into my soul. Like there’s nothing I can hide from her.

Her laugh, oh! her contagious giggle. I’d do anything just to hear that right now.

The distance between us is tearing me apart and it’s day 2.

“Louis?” Nurse Rosina said, opening the door and poking her head through.

 “Yes.” I jumped up a little and caught my reflection in the mirror on the opposite side of the room. Damn! My hair looked awful.

  “You have a visitor. Someone called Eli?”

 “Oh! Yeah he’s my friend.”

  “OK, you can come in.” The nurse said to Eli.

  “Hey man, how you feeling?” Eli sat on the brown leather couch next to my bed. I assumed he had just came back from football, because he was wearing his Silver fleets football kit.