Chapter 16, A trip unlooked for

Louis' been distant. He hasn’t been answering my texts and he’s stopped calling me every morning before school, like he used to. Its been a week since the encounter with his dad. I figured he’s probably still trying to wrap his head around it, so I’ve been giving him some space. That’s what I should be doing, right? Giving him space. But there comes a point were you start to wonder, whether this is about his dad or there’s something else going on.

Recently, he started playing football again and it just happened to be at the same club The twins played at. Today, I thought I’d go and watch them play in the beakers. Maybe I’d get a chance to talk to Louis as well. The evening came and It was all looking like a great idea, until I got to Silver fleets football club and saw the last thing I would have expected.

Louis. Sat on the side-lines, chugging down beer after beer after beer. Apparently, he got kicked off the team for turning up to the game completely wasted. That was understandable. The boy over there. The underage, drunk, unstable teenager on the other side of the football pitch. Truth be told, I didn’t know who that guy was. It was like a completely different person than the one I saw last week. The Louis I knew didn’t even drink beer.

A tall blonde-headed guy with a Jersey that had the number 18 on the back, was putting the opposing team to shame. He was playing like a true footballer, communicating to his team mates, doing a few tricks before booting the ball straight into the net. Loud cheers erupted throughout one half of the crowd behind me, while a few people supporting the other team, booed . I cheered, all the while keeping an eye on Louis on the bench. The referee came out, blowing his whistle and announcing half-time. Silver fleets members congratulated number 18 on the goal.

“That was great Rowel.” 

Wait. Rowel? As in, Michael Rowel? Louis' best mate? Number 18 turned around at the same time as 2 and 7 revealing their faces, and it was Michael, stood beside Eli and Eijai. This was my queue. I squeezed past a few people, went down the steps and onto the pitch. “Excuse me miss, but you’re not allowed on the field.” An average sized guy around 60 years of age, approached me, wearing a blue fleece with the Silver fleets Logo on. The coach. 

“Yeah, I get that, but I need to go and see Louis Jayson.” 

“I understand, but can’t you wait until the end of the game? it’s almost finished and....” He was starting to piss me off, I didn’t have time to be convincing the coach to let me on. Halftime was only 15 minutes and I had already wasted 2 of them talking to this guy. I should be over there, saving my drunk boyfriend from drowning himself in anymore alcohol.

“Excuse, what’s your name?” I interrupted.

“Gary.” 

“Ok...Gary. I’m Louis' girlfriend and I’m heavily pregnant with his babies. He’s over there on the side lines, obviously not in a good place, and I should be with him. So if you don’t mind I need to go over there and talk to my boyfriend.” 

He sighed, combing his hand through his thin grey hair. 

“Fine. Go on.” He said.

“Thank you.”

“Rowel!” He called,  waving him over from the bench. Michael sprinted over as fast as he could, his eyes widened when he saw me.

“Yes coach.” He said, leaning against the fence to catch his breath. 

“Can you please escort this young lady to Mr Jayson?”  “Yes sir.” 

He hooked his arm in mine and walked me across the field.

“I’m glad your here. Louis is a mess.” 

“Yeah, I can tell. What’s going on with him?” I asked.