16 | Heir

Audrey Garcia

It's been a week since everything. The Annual Ball, the attack by Victor, the fight with Vanessa. Everything.

With no one to lead the mafia things are really turning into a mess.

I found out there was illegal weapons being shipped for us six days ago that I didn't know off since my father wasn't able to tell me. A man that works at the port, but not for us, saw the weapons. He was gonna report to the police department that someone was trafficking illegal weapons, but then mysteriously got killed on his way to the police department. I sent some men to collect all the shipment before someone else finds them too.

Both my family and Carlos' got interrogated by some cops for the burnt down building, but I was able to get ourselves out of it.

Now I'm sitting in Giovanni's office for a talk. "If you go over his will, he wants everything passed down to you. His car, clothes, house, and the mafia. Everything. So I don't get why you don't wanna take his place."

"Gio. My father is not dead. He is alive, just in a coma." I sigh, clarifying again for the hundredth time in the last hour.

"Audrey, I don't think a man deep into a coma can run a whole fucking mafia. You're gonna have to take his place. You're mafia is falling apart without a leader, I mean- What would've you done if the man who found those weapons a week ago was able to report it to the police?" Giovanni raises a brow, asking me.

"Not a week ago, 6 days ago." I mutter, crossing my hands over my chest and leaning back into the chair.

"Not the point! For fucks sake, Audrey, no jokes. I'm being serious!" He says frustratedly.

"Don't yell at her, dad!" I hear Carlos yell from outside the office.

"Oh, shut up, son! And, didn't I tell you to go pick up your mother 10 minutes ago child!" Giovanni yells back at Carlos.

"I'm 22 dad! I'm not a child anymore!" Carlos scoffs, "And I was just about to go pick her up." He says right before leaving out the front door.

Once he closes the front door, Giovanni let's out a sigh and and piles up the papers on his desk together. "Look, Audrey." He says a little calmer, "Your mafia needs a leader. Every mafia does. Without a leader everthing is gonna fall apart. You're dad chose you to lead his mafia once he is gone from this earth. And I know, he isn't dead and thank God he isn't, but he is definitely not capable of leading this mafia in a coma. He is partially gone, and you're the heir of the mafia, you're the one whose supposed to take over when he isn't capable to do so."

"But when he wakes u-"

"He'll still want you to lead." Gio cut me off, "I don't think your father will take back control of the mafia from you once he is back. The man's getting old and so am I, and he talked to me multiple times about how he has been planning on handing you over the mafia soon. This would just be him handing it over sooner than expected. I'm thinking of doing the same with Carlos, too. We growing up, our bodies are getting tired. I'm in my 50s unlike your father and even if he is in his early 40s, I don't think he will be in perfect condition after the coma to fight in such violent missions again."

"What if I fuck up though? What if what happened a week ago at the harbor happens again and I mess up and get us into huge trouble?" I started to worry.

"I'll send you help if you need it." Giovanni replied.

"What if I get everyone in my mafia killed?"

"You won't."

"What i-"

"For fucks sake, enough with the 'what ifs'! You won't mess up!" He bursts. Giovanni let's out a sigh and runs his hand through his hair. Carlos does the exact same thing when he is frustrated. He acts just like his father. "I'm sorry for yelling at you right now." He sighs.