Chapter 31

(Play Powerless by Waterparks)

As Gabriel let himself in to Anna and Castiel's, he heard a voice and the faint sound of music above him. He set down his keys and slipped off his shoes, emerging farther into the open kitchen and living room. Naturally, assuming this mysterious music was Castiel, he set down the groceries he had been carrying on the dark countertop and quietly made his way up the stairs.

His curiosity grew with every step, as he began to make out the words his younger brother was singing. As he crept towards the room, he could understand despite the muffled sound.

Powerless tonight,

All I am is losing track of time,

Tell me why, oh, oh

You're the only one that makes me

Powerless tonight,

All I am is losing track of time,

Tell me why, oh, oh

You never really missed me back

Gabriel leaned up against the wall next to the door as he listened to Castiel, singing and strumming his guitar.

Is this an original?

He had to admit it, it was good. Really good. Despite everything he had hoped and aspired for Castiel's future, he knew that with every new song and every pluck of a guitar string, his brother grew farther away from that dream. It was hard to swallow. He felt a pit in his stomach thinking about the talent and opportunities that Castiel was throwing away by choosing a different path.

He listened to the lyrics he was singing, they were so sappy. Not like anything he'd written before.

'Cause your moonlit backseat always leaves me
Somewhere inside the softest part of my mind
And keeps me
Powerless tonight
All I am is losing track of time

Gabriel thought about the other day, when he had snuck into Castiel's room while he was out galavanting with Charlie and Jo, doing god knows what.

(FLASHBACK TIME)

The door creaked open as Gabriel slipped inside. He wandered in a circle, close to the wall, examining his surroundings.

A typical teenagers bedroom, it was charmingly messy, with as much personality as a room can possibly contain without exploding. There were posters over the unmade bed, lying in between the two large windows, gauzy curtains softening the midday light and giving the room an ethereal glow. There seemed to be instruments EVERYWHERE, it looked like a Guitar Center had thrown up all over Castiel's desk with the amount of cables and cases. Gabriel recognized a few things he himself had gifted the boy, and made his way over the cluttered desk. A bulletin board above the desk was absolutely covered in scraps of paper, ticket stubs, and most of all, Castiel's messy handwriting. Gabriel lifted a couple of pieces of ripped notebook paper from where they were tacked down to the cork.

I want to breathe you in like you're vapor
I  want to be the one you remember
I want to feel your love like the weather
All over me, all over me

Lyrics to a myriad of songs were scattered across the desk, on the board, sticking out of drawers and notebooks.

Well what if I came in close to only kiss you Or would you say no?
Is it really me that you want, that you want? Is it really me that you want, that you want?

Gabe turned his nose up at the sentimental words.

I'm gonna break down these walls I built around myself
I wanna fall so in love with you and no one else
Could ever mean half as much to me as you do now
Together we'll move on, just don't turn around
Let the walls break down