Chapter 3

With Jo and Charlie going their separate ways, Castiel was left to make his way to the orchestra room alone after lunch. He walked down the carpeted hallway of the music wing, passing the band room as the sounds of brass and woodwind instruments filled the air. He carried a black plastic case in his left hand, and inside was his baby; his viola.

He entered the orchestra room, and was immediately greeted by joyous shouts of "CASTIEL!!" and other vast and sundry exclamations of excitement.

"Hey guys." he said warmly, giving hugs to all of his younger friends and nodding in acknowledgement at the other seniors.

Everyone continued, or in Castiel's case, began tuning up their instruments and warming up before the teacher came out of his small office in the front corner of the room.

"Hey, Cassie!", a loud voice called. Castiel turned away from the freshman he was helping tune, grinning when he saw who the voice belonged to.

"Gabriel!", he said, rushing over to his favorite teacher and brother.

"Why haven't you been to Anna's? We've asked you over like, a million times, II feel like I haven't seen you all summer." Castiel said grumpily.

Gabe smirked, "I've been busy, what can I say?", he leaned in, sure to be quiet enough so the other students couldn't hear him, "I have a lotta ass to chase." Cas rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, because the good citizens of Lawrence, Kansas are just itching for a little 'Trickster Time'.", he said, adding some dramatic air quotes.

The bell rang, forcing Gabe and Cas to cut their conversation short as class began.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cas pulled into the driveway of his boring, suburan home and shut off his car, sighing. In his mind, all he could see was that...GUY, this Dean. He wasn't exactly sure what to call him at this point, but thinking about him like a teacher was the last thing Cas wanted to do.

Why can't I stop thinking about him...?

He pressed his forehead against the top of the steering wheel, trying desperately to clear his head before grabbing his backpack and his viola and exiting the car. He shut the door, jogging up the concrete steps as he locked his car and went inside. He knew Anna would still be at work, so it was no surprise that he was engulfed in the dim emptiness of the house. He unzipped and kicked off his combat boots, knowing full well the absolute shit storm he'd unleash if didn't, before trudging up the stairs.

Gingerly setting his viola down, he proceeded to toss his backpack in the general vicinity of his desk. Thinking he should probably start on what little homework he had already amassed from the first day, he pulled out his half-finished "auto-biography" page from English. The questions were fairly generic-- Favorite color, favorite flavor of ice cream, favorite subject in school--all of the stupid shit he always doubted the teacher would ever even look at. He had filled out most of it, but was unsure of what he wanted to add after he was done.

"I'd love to see art or anything else you can throw in there..."

Mr. Winchester's voice echoed throughout his head.

Why do I give a shit about this?

He thought,  upset at the fact that he actually wanted to put effort into this useless, stupid task. He almost felt like he needed to impress Dean, like he wanted Dean to like him.

Cas groaned and fell back on his bed.

What the fuck is wrong with me? I never care what anyone thinks, much less a teacher. But I guess he's not just any teacher, is he?

He sat up, rubbing his jaw.

Let's just get this over with.

He got up, walking over to the desk littered with sheet music and cables and pushed it aside. He set down the assignment and plopped down in his chair.

Add something cool, huh? I think I can manage that.

He smirked. This'll be just what he's looking for.

~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: sorry this one's very short. I wanted to see how y'all respond to more broken up chapters—do you like longer stretches of the story, do you like short chunks, or do you not really care? Let me know