1

Part I
Damned Souls
~
Lycus
~

Supposedly, the moon created a mate for a lycan. For them to meet, to be found and never be unbound.

And purposefully, hunters were bred and moulded to destroy that. Destroy all things unlike them, the unnatural and inhuman.

But what if hunters, in the rarest chances, were to be mated to a lycan?

To put it simply, blood will be spilled and Lycus Fenris knew that.

Knew that for only two reasons: The first, it was the natural order. Hunters hunt lycans and werewolves — his kind retaliate. The second, what being would be foolish enough to create a design for two different species to be mated?

Lycus always deemed his bond with Accalia was a punishment, but not before the cloud above him cleared and he saw her for who she truly was. His mate. His Luna.

He could feel her pain, even from here, even in her unconsciousness. Her cut that ran so deep into her skin all that was left was flesh and blood.

Accalia hadn't stirred once after the attack. The only time her body moved was when Lycus was adjusting her body for her. Dead weight in his arms.

The reminder of her in his arms clung to him like a ghost, the lifelessness he carried not leaving him.

But Accalia's heart still rang rhythmically at its own painful and slow pace. Lycus knew he'd never forget the hymn, the pattering beat of her heart in his ears. He needed to hold onto that.

"Alpha, we have to take her to the healers!" Tala, Lycus's Beta and closest friend shouted.

Lycus listened to his Beta's commands and ran to the cabin where the healers were sanctioned. They came to the place within minutes and Tala kicked the door in, holding it open for them.

"Heal your Luna, she endured a scratch mark by an Alpha and needs immediate attention. NOW!" Tala barked to two healers that were lounging around like nothing bad could occur within their pack.

They shot up, watching their Alpha who had blood all over his bare chest and suspension crossed their faces.

"Did you do—" one dared to ask and Tala gave her a look that sent her into silence. "Get her on the bed. We need to remove her clothing to inspect the wound."

Lycus shook, clutching Accalia to his skin, wanting her to be near him.

"Lycus, come on." Tala pressed.

Lycus placed Accalia onto the single bed that was fitted with white sheets and laid her on her stomach. His heart galloped, Accalia's arm falling loosely from him and he suppressed the urge to snap the healer's wrist for getting too close to his mate with scissors.

The healer began to cut between the middle of Accalia's top and removed the fabric away, blood and flesh sticking to it.

Both healers winced, cringing at the sight and Lycus nearly roared at them. They removed Accalia's bra and Tala covered her mouth with her hand, the sight too grotesque to bear witness to.

The mark embedded into the huntress's skin was too deep, bleeding red and flesh discarded into shreds. 

This would stay with her for the rest of her life. 

"The scratch is deep, any longer and she would have died from blood loss, Alpha. You came to us at miraculous timing." One healer commented. "She doesn't need to be turned, unless—"