20

The moon oracle
~
Accalia
~

"You have a lot of experience in this," Accalia teased Lycus who cuffed a young she-wolf to the wall, her eyes glowing as a growl lurched out of her throat.

Clattering of metals and chains shook through the dungeons that followed with rough growls growing through the air.

Tala yowled in laughter at Accalia, restraining other werewolves to the cellars and brick walls.

Lycus snapped his teeth at the she-wolf who wanted to run free.

She cowered back, submitting her golden eyes to the floor. "Sorry, Alpha."

Lycus ignored the wolf and followed onto the next person who had their wrists outstretched for the Alpha to confine them. There were chains and handcuffs locked into the stone walls with no way to escape.

Lycus's eyes found Accalia who hung by the entrance, settling her hip by the door and glancing around the large area.

"You shouldn't be here," Lycus said to her and a bunch of wolves looked between the Alpha and his mate. "It's not safe."

Accalia laced her hands together and stepped through the threshold, the dim lights greasily shining the cellar in a yellow gleam and showing the sweat coating the chained wolves.

They were restless. Eyes rolling back and dilating even as they glowed the wild colours of cider or flayed gold, that all depended on their maker. If their eyes were golden, harsh and plated with unpromising savagery, they were bitten by a lycan. If shades of orange, from flames to sunsets, they were bitten by another werewolf.

"I wanted to help," Accalia said awkwardly, shifting on her heels. She didn't exactly know how, but in whatever way she could, she wanted to lend a hand.

"Like we need the help of a hunter!" A male wolf spat by Accalia's boots and the Alpha was in his face so fast Accalia felt a gush of wind whoosh by.

The male wolf was ripped up by the throat and Lycus roared in his face, "You do not disrespect her! She is your Alpha as am I!"

Stepping over the wad of spit and over the many legs stretched out as they prepared to crack and break against the light of the full moon, Accalia came up to Lycus.

"Lycus, it's fine," Accalia said and placed her hands up to try to calm him down. "He's young and the silver around their skin is preventing the shift, they're going against their instincts right now."

Lycus's eyes swam with a hunger to kill.

Accalia's heart slammed against her chest and she tried not to wobble on her feet with the look he was giving her. "Lycus, he's angry. It's the full moon."

Lycus's lip curled and he dropped the wolf to the floor.

"Any of you speak out of turn when it comes to Accalia, you will be banished." Lycus seethed and prowled around the cellars. "She has helped our pack by ensuring treaties and alliances in this upcoming war. You disrespect her, you make an enemy out of me."

Heads bowed, submitting their glowing gazes to the floor and faced away from the Alpha, understanding his every word and not wanting to break it.

Lycus scowled at them and cuffed someone else to the stone walls, distracting himself from Accalia's high-handed stare.

"You can—" Lycus scanned around and then pointed at Tala, "—stick by her side and double-check if the chains and cuffs are intact. If anyone mouths you off, let me know."

Accalia wouldn't and went to the corner of the dungeon where Tala was pulling at chains, ensuring they weren't going to slip out of the walls.

"Hey," Accalia said and Tala gave her a wide smile even as her eyes blazed gold.