26

Crescendo 
~
Cadence
~

"Wear the leather jacket, you gotta have that coldness somewhere," Cadence murmured, curving the collar of the jacket downward and smoothing it over.

Cadence looked from the ankle boots Erisa wore up to the crown of her cascading black hair that curled effortlessly against her small frame.

"You look ... nice." Cadence commented, clearing her throat.

Erisa's eyes dulled. "I'm not keen on the dress."

Cadence wasn't either.

It was a blue slip dress that came to her upper thighs and the material insinuated the slimness of her stature. It was flimsy and satin — made to capture the eyes of Cole Canus.

"Perhaps show your shoulders."

At the same time, Cadence and Erisa rounded on the hybrid who sat in the back seat of the car and their faces contorted in displeasure.

"No one asked for your input." Cadence sneered and faced back to Erisa.

They've been outside of Hell Blue's bar for over an hour and they had yet to see Cole.

After convincing Lycus yesterday, Cadence had to forcefully swallow her swelling hate toward the hybrid and bring him along for the ride, because — to her annoyance, she knew he was their best bet in all of this.

Accalia was out of the question with her scars and the imprint she would have on Cole with her scent. He would be able to sense her presence within a short distance.

Lycus wouldn't be able to keep his cool if he latched eyes on the Alpha that maimed his mate. It would be a bloodbath and they weren't in the position to do that yet.

And the same rule applied, Cole would recognise Lycus within seconds of being in the same environment.

They needed a being powerful and efficient, the hybrid unwillingly came to Cadence's mind and she wasn't about to let it go even if she wished it.

"Maybe Rexton is right, Cadence ... I need to not be me," Erisa muttered into the stuffy air of the vehicle.

That is the point, Cadence thought darkly and once again, scanned the many banged-up cars and humans stumbling in and out of the bar.

No one stuck out, some people were at the hip, and others smoking and drowning in booze. Cadence averted her eyes from the couples making out like animals.

"Whatever you say, Erin," Cadence mumbled her fake name and leaned her forearm on the side of the car.

Erisa pulled the leather jacket past her sharp shoulders and the bright lights glistened on her pale complexion.

Cadence wanted this over with and in the back of her mind, she didn't want to be here even if it was her idea. She didn't want to be in the same car as Rexton who she would be spending her Friday night with whilst Erisa played the spy.

"He's here." Rexton declared.

Cadence turned to Rexton, glancing at the ticking of his jaw and his warm eyes becoming heated scorn.

"Where?" Cadence demanded.

Rexton's jaw clenched and dragged his forefinger against the window's glass, stopping dead in the corner. "There."

Cadence followed his direction and sure enough, the lycan came into view at the entrance the door outside the bar. His lean built was hooded with a black leather jacket and his slick dark hair had strands framing over his gaunt face.