19

War of words
~
Lycus
~

"Heaven forbid, Lycus, this one thing isn't about you!" Gabriel shouted from across the table, his blue eyes washing away like waves and harbouring in the lycan to the surface, tidal waves crashing into rocks.

Lycus tilted his head, a smug expression appearing on his face and drummed his fingers across his table, thinking about punching that prudent look off his pretty brother's face.

Dramatically, attempting to wind Gabriel up further, Lycus gestured to himself with an uneasy smirk and said, "How could I be making this about myself, brother? We're simply talking about the well-being of Rexton. Don't get your tail in a twist."

"No," Gabriel growled menacingly, surprising Lycus who raised his brows and waited for the lycan to pounce. "You're trying to isolate him from everything. If he decides not to come back to my pack, you'll take matters into your own hands. I won't allow it."

Lycus groaned and lulled his head back on the chair, having enough of him and his deranged statements. They were going in merry-go-rounds and it hadn't ceased since Gabriel announced he would be departing for his pack and mate.

Gabriel had been trying to sway Rexton to come with him, with wishful fulfilment of choice and freedom that would be granted to him.

However, something would hinder the hybrid from following his favourite brother and that something—someone, was Cadence Larren.

The huntress was avoiding Rexton like a plague and funnily enough, if Cadence was diseased, she'd spare a moment or two to pass it onto him.

It wasn't welcoming news, the huntress and hybrid being mated. It wasn't long ago since Rexton took matters into his own hands and kidnapped Cadence.

But the reason for it rang more clear than Lycus could ever imagine. By any means, it didn't make it right, but it explained Rexton's peculiar behaviour toward the huntress.

His soul had tethered itself to hers and he was drowning in it, consumed by it, but Cadence felt utterly nothing towards him. Only plain hate.

Lycus chuckled to himself, how aligned that was to him once upon a time, his bond with Accalia.

But this connection had more gasoline thrown into the flames and it would blow up in someone's face eventually. It was only a matter of time.

Which is why it was best Cadence didn't know about it. It was the best way to avoid her wrath and desire for revenge against Rexton.

"By all means, Gabriel, take him. You will take better care than I could and ever would. But ... and you know this, with the pull of the bond, he'll want to stay here." Lycus said dismissively, placing trust in his words.

Rexton being in Gabriel's care would only lead to one thing: freedom. Lycus didn't want it for him, it was too dangerous and a risk no one should be willing to take.

But Gabriel would, to ease his guilt and pain for what he did to Rexton. He would want the very best with him even if it came with a cost.

Lycus didn't want it, he wanted his brother buried in isolation and darkness if it meant everything from the oracle's mouth to not come true. After all those decades, they still plagued his heart and mind with her sentences that brought so much uncertainty.

That was what Lycus hated the most, not knowing what was true or false. It led to drastic measures and unhinged stakes. Locking Rexton away was the furthest point Lycus thought he would ever go, he never dreamt of doing something so blindly based on prophetic statements.