43

Accepting fate
~
Accalia
~

"I don't know what the fuck is up, Accalia. But these Thrax wolves — none are in the pack. They've changed direction and are heading north. Filthy mutts." Tristan barked into the phone angrily.

Accalia pulled her head away from the phone, still able to hear her brother's yelling and gave a fixed glance to Lycus who was intently listening to their conversation.

There had to be a reason the Thrax pack fled from their lands, what wolves leave and what Alpha would forsake their territory?

Whenever possible, when not snatching up werewolves, tracking them down, or outright killing them for biting humans to change them, Tristan had kept Accalia updated as much as he could.

But there were limitations to that. Accalia's father had kept Tristan busy every chance given, leading minor groups of hunters in taking the threat out and it left a gap of communication needing to be filled.

The law hunters live by had been double-crossed and they didn't want lycans fraternising with their plans on taking out the Thrax pack for what they had done. This was a hunter matter to deal with now.

Werewolves and lycans should not have the free will to bite and change whoever they want and get away with it.

These passing weeks, many Larren hunters — distant relatives and other recruiters have ensnared traps in the woodland, and local towns and have played at their cause in killing any werewolf willing to bite a human.

This was Zenith's calling, he asked for werewolves to change humans to further populate his pack for the war and it had to be stopped before the humans discovered what truly lurked within the shadows.

But with Adriana becoming a threat, Cole caged up and Thrax wolves changing course, something wasn't adding up and Accalia sensed it in her very bones.

She nodded at Tristan even though he couldn't see her and explained into the phone. "Tris, there's another enemy out there with an even bigger motive. Turns out, a vampire had been manipulating Thrax and Canus this entire time, playing at their desires. She wants revenge on Lycus."

Tristan groaned loudly into the phone, his repulsion towards the lycans clear as day. "What the fuck did your mate do now?"

Lycus rolled his eyes and glared at the device Accalia was holding.

"Imprison Rexton. A vampire by the name of Adriana wants Rexton and has wanted him for many years. Once she found out he was supposedly dead, she wanted revenge on Lycus for it and manipulated Cole and Zenith to do it."

"Fuck this fucking species, man. What does she want with Rexton?"

They hoped Erisa had found a reason.

"We don't know yet, it's obvious it has something to do with him being a hybrid, but with Cole in the dungeons—"

"Hold the fuck up, he's in the Fenris pack?"

"Yeah, we kidnapped him to get answers on what was blocking the memories Vaela was trying to see and it turned out to be a very old vampire named Adriana," Accalia explained quickly.

Silence fell on the other end and Accalia's heart accelerated, trying to hear her brother's voice.

"Tris—"

"Accalia, there are no wolves in the Thrax pack. I'm here with other hunters as we speak. No one in the pack houses, none fucking nowhere. You said Cole is locked up in the Fenris pack and a vampire wants Rexton but also wants revenge on Lycus. Accalia, what if the war is happening right now? Right under our noses and all of us have been caught up in the other details. What if we're being fucking side-tracked?"