17

Dark delights
~
Cadence
~

"Did Erisa let you know?" Cadence asked, leaning the corner of her swelling head onto the icy window. It subsided the rising pain.

She couldn't say she regretted it. In the blinding moment she did, knowing her human skin, easy to cut and gash could ever go up against a wolf in sheep's clothing. But when she made Rexton bleed, it made her stupid actions worth it.

Her lips painted into a smile against the glass.

Accalia dribbled her fingers along the buttons of Lycus's car again, tilting her head in concern of what would turn the air conditioner down and what would put the heater on.

"She was frantic, Cadence. It scared her ..."

Cadence angled away from the window with a coldness piercing through her and it wasn't because of the air conditioner. She reached for her back pocket and then slammed her hands onto her thighs with a yell.

"I left my phone back at Frankie's!" Cadence snapped throughout the car.

"It's okay, just use my phone to message her. I got one a few days ago when me and Lycus were on the road. I want all of us to keep in contact." Accalia assured and gave her the device from the console.

Accalia didn't have a password, not even a wallpaper and it was simple to navigate through her very short list of contacts.

"You don't even have a heart next to Lycus's name? Not even a nickname?" Cadence muttered mockingly with a laugh.

Accalia's lip twitched and she whacked her hand at Cadence's legs that were reaching up to the dashboard. "Don't you dare, get your feet off that dashboard. What have I told you?"

Cadence rolled her eyes with a curled lip.

Accalia: heyyy it's Cadence I'm using Lilybelle's phone. Wanted to let you know that I'm alright and I got away from the freak.

A ding chimed through and Erisa's name popped up.

Erisa: Holy shit Cadence. I got so scared I thought the worst — what happened? And your phone is here I'll try and bring it by when I can. Is he still alive?

Accalia: sadly. He took me to kara forest and wanted to apologise but Accalia and Lycus found me with Alexene. Stay where you are. When I can I'll come by and get my stuff. Sorry for freaking you out.

Erisa: I don't care about me I just thought with him biting you he wanted to finish you off or something. Im gonna get nightmares over this.

Cadence bit the inside of her cheek, breathing through her teeth at how she could respond to something like that. Erisa had been prone to nightmares for years, the strangest of things could set her off and her dreams would be lost in the shadows.

Accalia: do you need me to come over?

Erisa: It's fine. It's not the first time I've had to deal with nightmares and it won't be the last. I'll talk to you soon Larren. X

Accalia: Night Jaeger.

"Thanks for letting me use your phone," Cadence said and placed it back in the console.

"I'm so sorry, Cadence," Accalia mumbled and took a right, leading into the Fenris territory. "I shouldn't have felt bad for him, I thought he was going to kill you tonight. Maybe ... he should go back into that coffin. If it protects all of us and even himself, maybe it should happen."