46

As night falls
~
Accalia
~

Every movement, tread or subtle breath Accalia attempted to make, she was intercepted and blocked.

No wolf or man could come remotely close to her except one.

Lycus whisked her behind him again, mangling his claws across another's torso and they fell limp to the floor from blood loss.

Another fighter came to her right, running at her full speed, but Lycus was too quick and had Accalia out of the way and before her feet touched the ground, that wolf was dead too.

"Lycus, you have to let me fight!" Accalia grumbled at him, steadying her legs to the ground.

His beastly head rounded on her and shook his head, blood dribbling on his long snout.

He meekly grunted at Accalia and swept her up in the air as more wolves hounded them with all efforts to take out the Alpha and Luna of the Fenris pack.

All enemies were taken out by Lycus's hand, his claws embedding into hot blood and a spray of crimson painted across the Fenris pairing like a scatter of rain.

The odour of rotting flesh and metal was enough for Accalia to want to bring up all that she had consumed throughout the day.

So much slaying, too much bloodshed.

Lycus placed her back on the uneven battlefield and she swayed against him, paying her sole attention to his flecks of amber that coursed through the pitiless black of his eyes.

"You need to stop protecting me." Accalia forced out and scanned her surroundings apprehensively, hoping she had a brief moment in these unfortunate times.

Lycus was overbearing, rewriting the past and trying to quench the guilt that continued to eat away at him since they first met. He didn't ask for Cole to scratch her and he most certainly didn't ask for Accalia.

He couldn't be her shield and protector forever.

But Lycus wouldn't have it, wouldn't listen to what she had to say and shook his head back and forth, his ears turning down in disapproval.

His feral attitude spoke of objection and he came closer to her, the essence of the souls he took and claimed by his hands reeking off him.

Lycus jutted a pointy claw at Accalia's chest, where her heartbeat was beneath blood and bones and before the words could slip out of his mouth, a body collided with Accalia and a hound of werewolves descended upon Lycus.

Smashing into the hard ground, Accalia's sword flew out of her hand and the world around her spun.

Lycus's pleading roar swept in and out of her ears as she rolled against the dirt and blood in a continuous cycle, the body on top of her having no desire to stop.

Once she settled against fallen leaves and torn limbs, a boot clashed into her ribs.

Accalia coughed on her pain, choking for air and she fell flat against her back. She swore she could still hear the pleas and roars of her mate, but that shortly fell into nothingness.

The same boot landed on her chest and pressed down, taking out the remaining air Accalia dreamt to take into her lungs.

And befell upon Accalia were strands of honey blonde hair dancing across her face.

"Me—Melina." Accalia choked out and clenched her fingers around the she-wolf's boot, attempting to pry her off.

That striking face came closer and Melina gleamed, her lips painted berry red. "The very same. How's life treating you, Accalia?"