27

Happy Hunting Ground
~
Accalia
~

"Nothing." Vaela sighed, letting go of Erisa's face and rose from her chair. "I could only collect the interest he has in Erisa. Nothing more."

Everyone fell back against their seats, adamant defeat coursing through the living room.

"I could have found something if..." Erisa trailed off and looked down, hair covering her grief-stricken face.

"No," Accalia affirmed and promptly stood up, gesturing to Cadence who was at the point of passing out. "Cadence made the right call in making you sure didn't leave with Cole. It was smart bringing Rexton along, he could hear everything and that kept you safe. We can't risk you getting hurt, Erisa, just to find something that doesn't want to be found."

At first, Accalia sat riddled with panic about Rexton being in the same environment, let alone the same car as Cadence, but it proved to be the very step they needed.

As soon as they returned, Cadence explained to them that the hybrid's abilities surpassed their expectations and the nerves within Accalia vanished as Rexton radioed every word Erisa had with the lycan back to Cadence.

He detected the ever-rising fear in Erisa's tone, how it spiked and then became a feeble whisper when she grew scared.

Accalia had fretted for Erisa and if she would walk out of the door alive. It wouldn't let loose of her until they returned home safe and sound.

Cadence sat on the floor by Rexton who was seated with his legs tucked up on the chair and chin leant on his knees.

Accalia watched Cadence look at Rexton like he was a tragically handsome sculpture. His  head turned a fraction and he stared down at Cadence. He offered her a boyish grin, dimples denting his cheeks and Cadence swept her eyes away, rage announcing in her face.

Accalia suppressed the urge to smile.

"What if the presence that blocks Vaela's vision is a human?" Cadence questioned.

Vaela stubbornly shook her head and explained, "Someone that can hide from the abilities of an oracle is no human. Accalia is right, they don't want to be found but they want to be connected to Cole, for whatever reason that is and we have to find out why."

"Why is it so important? Can't we just kill Cole and have it done with?" Cadence said to the oracle.

"We can do that." Lycus piped up with a menacing smile and jutted his finger to the oracle. "Vaela can access anyone's memories, dreams and future, but when Cole receives visits from a particular presence, those memories aren't there. Someone is blocking them and we have to know who. For all we know, they could be heavily involved in the battle. We have to be smart about things."

"We should sneak into his pack." Cadence didn't miss a beat.

Accalia's face fell and looked at Cadence like she completely lost it.

"What did I just say?" Lycus grumbled, gripping the bridge of his nose.

Cadence shot up and said, "Come on, you know it's a good idea. Cole and Erisa have arranged to see each other again next week and while that happens, me, Accalia and Tristan could sneak into the pack and see if there's anything to find."

"That's suicide, Cadence," Accalia breathed out and sent her a discouraging look.

"Like the good old days, Lilybelle." Cadence grinned wildly at her and kicked her foot.

The days that were spent sneaking into packs, infiltrating werewolf packs that were unbound to an Alpha lycan and always getting hunted for it afterwards. The days when Tristan and Cadence would get a thrill from it and Accalia would be left to wonder if this would be the day they died.