6

At a crossroads
~
Lycus
~

These were well-known roads for Lycus. Mapped out in his head, but he remained unsure if the drive became quicker or longer.

In his other form, he could travel great distances at even greater speeds. It was useful until it wasn't. Until the prime purpose of it wielded into losing the very thing Lycus clings onto now more than ever. His human side.

With centuries of drowning in his lycan side, being in the very entity that ignited battles and bathed in the aftermath, it granted you the cost of not coming back from it. But every time, Lycus came back. He turned his matted fur into ragged skin and his war-torn claws into nails.

You can be a human without a soul, you can be a wolf in sheep's clothing, but you cannot be a lycan without being a human. Because what was the point of the lycanthropy curse?

The curse was given solace, and Lycus knew he didn't deserve it. He didn't deserve to have a curse with a blessing. Especially a blessing he couldn't afford to lose.

The mere threat on Accalia overcame his mind with such wrath he was fuelled to burn the world to the ground. He can't lose Accalia. He can't have her blood on his hands — or her tears, her pain ever again.

But even sealing her in his arms where she belonged, he still managed to inflict pain. His fingers curled into fists and he rested his head back. Accalia's wounds will leave scars from the cuts so deep that Lycus remained stagnant if she would ever recover.

She would heal from this, she had to — whatever way that may be. Battling it out, have her walls back up and if Lycus had to let her go and unclip those caged wings of hers, he would do it.

Accalia is a Larren hunter and Luna of the Fenris Pack, how her path may be carved, whatever road she may take, those scars would linger behind her and Lycus wanted her to heal from it.

"Can you go any faster?" Lycus grumbled at his brother.

It had been nearly three hours of travel, the sun dimming and skies darkening, and every space being stretched between Lycus from Accalia had dug a paranoid nick in his head that wouldn't leave him.

He didn't think he'd be so fretful about leaving her behind, even for a few hours, but the nervousness didn't ease, it only rumbled like a stampede.

Gabriel gave him an aghast look, offended. "I'm going as fast as I can."

"Like a fucking grandmother."

"I'm going the speed limit!"

Fucking pansy bitch, Lycus thought with venom and kept his mouth shut.

"The hunters are still behind us." Came Tala's monotone voice.

"Yippee." Lycus sarcastically cheered.

Lycus could feel the eyes of his Beta on him and it made his shoulder twitch. Turning around, he chanced her a beaming grin, all fake and enough for her to see through it.

"Something wrong, Beta?" Lycus taunted.

Tala's fringe fanned across her beady eyes but her jaw locked. "Nothing, Alpha." She clipped.

Lycus chuckled and slipped back around in his seat. "We couldn't tell anyone except Vaela."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Alpha," Accusation strained the Beta, so foully you could smell it on her.

"I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, Tala. But I'll tell you this, pass it onto Accalia if you like: I wasn't going to kill him, so I tucked him away. It was for his own good." Lycus explained simply and in his peripheral vision, saw Gabriel's fingers clenched tightly around the steering wheel.