10

Wolves closing in
~
Cadence
~

It wasn't a coffin and plain darkness to awaken Cadence, but the pillow she lay on making a buzzing noise.

Snapping awake, Cadence skimmed her hands underneath the pillow and latched onto a device, bringing it to her ear after accepting the call she didn't bother to check.

"Hello?" Cadence rasped out croakily, wiping the sleep from her eyes.

"Did I wake you up, Cadence Larren?"

The phone almost hit the floor as Cadence sat up. "Alexene?"

"Where is Rexton?" Alexene crooned.

It hit Cadence like a train that Alexene still was after the hybrid. How she managed to let it slip her mind, she will let her tiresome self figure that out. He was wanted by many people, in life and death. Especially by the living dead.

"On the couch." Cadence's lips cracked as she smiled against the phone. "Feel free to come in the house."

"How about I throw a brick through the window?" Alexene snapped.

Someone is of unsound mind.

"As long as it doesn't hit my window, by all means ... fucking do it." Maybe it will hit Rexton if she aimed correctly.

The brazen bravery strengthened into hard gold, running through Cadence's veins at a rapid rate. Their bargain is completed — with a cost. It made Cadence writhe in anger, but the deal is done. Whatever Alexene intended to do now, was all on her and her alone. Cadence wasn't being dragged around like a lap dog prepared to take orders and commands.

"The living room window is smashed in."

Cadence wanted to spear a stake right at Alexene's head. Of course, she's here — she would have traced his scent after losing him in Kara forest. Alexene had formulated this plan for years and years, wanting to free the hybrid. It's been her immortal mission, and it ends with him being with the very people she loathes.

"Blame the hybrid for that," Cadence spat, preparing to hang up the phone. Peering out the window, she could see the dark skies streaking through the sheer curtain.

"He bit you."

Cadence clenched her jaw, the plaster stinging into her neck. "Well, you were there."

"Rexton never used to feed on humans." Alexene commented ruefully.

"Good for him, if you want to use the front door, feel free to throw a brick through Lycus's room to get his attention — it's in the furthest corner of the house, near the woods. Good—fucking—night." Cadence spat in a harsh whisper, beckoning around the room to see Erisa stirring restlessly on the other side of the bed.

Tristan slept with his arm over his head on the floor, his snores bellowing through the room. 

"Is there a reason werewolves were outside of the Fenris territory?"

Cadence jerked off the bed and pressed her feet onto the floorboards to steady herself. "What?"

"Three werewolves in the woods near the highway, they were watching the pack."

Without realising, Cadence stood and jumped over Tristan to get to the door. "Are they still alive?"

"I want to see Rexton. Get Lycus's attention and I'll talk." Alexene murmured into the phone and Cadence could sense the eerie snicker on her youthful face.

The face of her cousin crept through Cadence's head and that was enough for her to rip the door open, running down the hall.

"Give me a minute." Cadence snarled.