Chapter 24

24 - No Judge Zone

Anya's POV

I heard my doorbell go off and got up to open the door with hopes of it being Nola.

She ghosted me all day and I was worried sick.

I smiled when I saw Nola's face before it turned into a frown when I noticed her busted lip.

"Who the fuck did this?" I asked maliciously, ready to track down and fight whoever.

Nola said nothing as she came in and I locked the door before turning around.

I was blinded suddenly when Nola pulled me into her chest, engulfing me with a hug. She held me tight and I returned the embrace.

I could feel myself calm down and I called her gently, "Nola... tell me. What happened?"

A faint sniffle could be heard out her and my heart squeezed within my chest. 

"I'm finally... free..." Is all she could make out before warm tears began to dampen my shoulder.

I let out a deep breath as I stroked her soft curls and she sobbed silently.

I eventually got her to calm down and she told me everything that went down earlier.

--

A few days later...

"You sure you ready?" I asked as I grasped her trembling hands.

"We could always come back another day?"

"Nah, I'm good." Nola said and we got out the car.

I held my hand out and she smiled as she took it.

"No matter what happens, I'ma be right by your side." I reassured her.

"...Alright." She breathed out before chuckling, "Let me stop being a baby."

As soon as we walked on campus, a group of Nola's friends spotted her almost immediately.

"Nola!" One of her friends called out and she let go of my hand as if on cue.

I didn't take it personally.

"Professor Johnson's looking for you." The familiar stem said to Nola.

Nola looked at me as she said, "I'll meet up with you right after, okay?"