Chapter 21

21 - The Other Side

Anya's POV

It took me a second to regain my composure.

"What the hell makes you think that?" Nola asked with a deadly expression, and I hit her.

"I mean... I first started noticing something was up when I met you. Then when we was studying... it's the way you look at Anya." Nique said.

I felt a swarm of butterflies form in my tummy.

How does she be looking at me?

"Plus, I might've peeped y'all in the car before coming in..." She said nervously with a chuckle while rubbing on the back of her neck.

Yeah... ain't no excuse for that...

Nola and I quietly exchanged looks.

"Well, you're right. We're dating so stay away from Anya." Nola stated without any humor.

I hit her hard this time and she looked at me confused, "What? I'm serious!"

"She's my girlfriend and not yours, so quit trying to hog her! She's mine only..." Nola growled at Nique as she held my waist securely. 

"Stop actin' like a little kid!" I scolded her.

"H-Holdon... damn. Nola, calm down..." Nique laughed, "I ain't tryna hog Anya!"

"But you can't just have her to yourself! My girl's been working late shifts, and I be lonely!"

Nola then seemed to freeze in place. "Wait... you've got a girlfriend?" She asked.

"I do!" Nique replies, "Damn. What you think? I ain't tryin' to steal Anya from you or nothing..."

"Oh..." Nola said lowly as she loosened her grip on me and I shook my head at her.

"You could've told me..." She mumbled to me.

"Right... like you would'a listened to me."

"Honestly, I'm so happy for y'all!" Nique said, "But you could'a told me sooner..."

Me and Nola glanced at each other before exchanging soft smiles.

"I'm sorry about that." I said sincerely, "It's just not everybody's as accepting as you..."

I could feel my stomach turn at the thought of Nola's minion, Bertha, finding out.

I feel like she'd get hangry and eat me.

"I understand what you mean..." Nique said as she shook her head. "Anyway, I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks... I'm rooting for y'all!"