Chapter 20

20 - Brand New

Anya's POV

The drive back to my place was silent.

I wanted to say something but I could tell Nola was pissed since earlier.

We pulled into my driveway and I immediately took off my seatbelt as she put the car on park.

"What're you in a rush for?" Nola asked as she mugged me.

I chuckled lightly, "To be honest, all that studying made me hungry..." I admitted.

A frown formed across her face and I braced myself for a cuss-out.

"Why didn't you say anything? We could've stopped somewhere and got something..."

...Oh.

I relaxed as I reply, "...I ain't wanna bother you."

Her frown remained but she looked concerned.

"It doesn't matter. If you hungry, tell me that... don't just wait until you're home." She scolded me.

"Alright, I will. But it ain't a big deal."

Nola stared at me with a straight expression.

"What?" I asked with a laugh, "I'm serious."

"You can be stubborn when you want to." She replies and I started laughing even louder.

"Like you got any room to talk!"

She parted her lips to say something but nothing came out as she looked away.

"I said what I said..." She stated.

"You can't even defend yourself!" I laughed at her and she rolled her eyes as she cracked a smile.

My gaze lingered on her gorgeous smile but then it hit me that my night with her was ending.

"Oh, yeah. I been meaning to ask... why you get so upset earlier?" I asked.

She looked at me confused as she said, "When?"

"Earlier, with Nique." I reminded her and she caught on as she sucked her teeth.

"Oh, that irrelevant bitch."

"See, why you gotta be like that?" I laughed.

"I said that out loud?" Nola smirked before responding, "It's not like I've got a problem with her specifically... she's a good kid."

"Well, it ain't seem that way." I reply, "You do realize she my best friend, right?"

Nola looked conflicted for a brief moment.

"Right. I get that... I'm just not used to anyone being close to you..." Nola grumbled lowly.

A huge grin grew across my face.