Chapter 9

9 - Alone, Not Lonely

Anya's POV

"Stop with the gay shit!" I laugh, shoving my friend, Nique, away from me.

"My bad, I just haven't seen you in so damn long!" She exclaimed, "I missed you!"

"I know, I'm hard not to miss." I grinned. She shoves me playfully as she yells, "Fuck outta hea, nigga!"

We laugh and I was actually happy to see her.

"Anyway, how you been? You like it here?" I asked her and she hummed as she thought.

"I mean... yeah, it's nice. You never called me after you left though! You promised!" She frowned.

"I'm sorry, man. I just got busy with school as soon as I got outta the military. You wanna grab something to eat?" I asked her.

"Hell yeah! Let's go!" She smiled, throwing her arm around the back of my neck.

I shook my head at her and we made a small walk over to Starbucks.

--

3rd POV

Nola sat down in a booth behind them and held a magazine up to shield her face.

"It's been forever since I been to Starbucks." This unknown stud spoke as Nola eyed her. She never seen her before, especially not at school.

Wait. Why the fuck was she was snooping around like a dog? She thought it was pathetic.

But she couldn't help it... she wanted to know about this 'girlfriend' of hers.

This is the first time that she'd seen Anya with anyone besides Jess.

She didn't like it one bit.

Nique could feel the hostility radiating from the booth behind Anya, and saw what seemed like a person angrily reading a magazine.

'Damn, they look fed up with life," She thought.

"How long you been back home?" Anya asked.

"A week and some change. I was so sad after you left! Nobody was as fun as you." She said, folding her arms onto the table.

"And none of the seniors were as nice as you. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have made it through military. I know I never said it but I'm grateful. Thanks a lot, bro. I really appreciate you."

Anya smiled in response and ended up laughing, "Aye, you wasn't too bad y'self."

"I'm so glad you go here! Like I don't think you understand. I was real depressed at first, cause I ain't know nobody. But then I saw you and I got so happy." She said before laughing, "Sorry if I'm being gay. I'm just happy to see you again."