Chapter 11

11 - Under the Weather

3rd POV

A few hours earlier...

Jess was finishing up with the last customer for the night, or who she thought was the last.

"Come again." She smiled at the customer, and they began to leave when the bell on the door rung to indicate another customer entering.

"Hello, welcome to–" Jess paused as she met eyes with Nola.

Her eyes filled with hatred and Nola felt the hostility almost immediately.

"You really got some balls, man. I'mma give you that." Jess laughed.

"I'm not here to start anything. I just wanted to know if Anya came into work today." Nola said.

"Fuck you care for? After what you did to her? Leave, before I throw your ass out." Jess responds bitterly, with no humor to her tone.

Nola knew she would do it.

"...I know I'm in no position to be doing this, but I can't help it. I even told myself not to do this, but I'm really worried about Anya." Nola said, "Just give this to her for me, please."

Nola handed her a bag, and Jess took notice immediately that there was medicine.

"Medicine? Why the fuck does Anya need medicine?" Jess asked defensively.

Her phone went off just then, and she glared at Nola before picking up the phone.

"Baby girl, what's up!?" She smiled into the phone, keeping eye contact with Nola.

"What's wrong?" She asked as soon as she heard how sickly Anya sounded.

"Yeah, I get off in a hour and some change. Why? What's up?" Jess responded to Anya's question, waiting for her to tell her she was sick.

Anya told her after and requested for some medicine as Jess scowled silently at Nola.

"It's coming." Jess told her while tossing the bag back over to Nola.

Anya thanked her and hung up the phone as Jess crossed her arms against her chest.

"Anya's never been sick before... and now she's sick, because of you!" Jess snapped, causing Nola to flinch. "Because of all the stress you put her body through, it's weak and now she's sick!"

Nola was frightened slightly by how she came up with that theory but Jess was fuming.

"Fuck... she sounded bad! I'm the only one closing so I don't leave until late..." She muttered.

"Then I'll just give her the medicine myself." Nola said, and Jess glared at her.

"...Or not." Nola said.