Chapter 18

18 - Facing Reality

Anya's POV

The next morning, Nola dropped me off at my apartment complex.

"Thanks for everything. It was great." I told Nola, while unbuckling my seatbelt.

I went to open the door and she pulled me back.

Nola kissed me on the lips before pulling away, "You were going to leave just like that?"

I couldn't help it as my face heated up.

"I–I'm still getting used to this..." I admitted.

Nola smiled at me gingerly.

"Me too. Honestly... it'll take me a while to get used to us actually being together. So, for now... let's keep it low-key. Okay?" She asks.

A pang of anxiety hit me as I felt a little sick.

"...Oh. A'ight..." I respond half-heartedly.

"But. Um..." She started off nervously and I raised a brow at her in interest.

"I'd still like to hang around school and all..."

Her gaze was elsewhere and she was mumbling underneath her breath, making me laugh.

My chest felt lighter as I smiled at her.

"Not to the point that it's obvious! Just so... we seem like good friends, alright? That's it." She said quickly, "Don't go overboard."

I nodded as I laughed, "A'ight... if you say so."

"Stop." Nola demanded, "Stop doing that."

"What? I'm not doing nothing." I said with a chuckle then I smiled at her.

"Yes, you were laughing at me." She declared.

"I have no idea what you talking 'bout." I reply, acting as if I was oblivious.

Nola huffed slightly as she said, "Whatever. Back to the point. Make sure you text me."

"I will." I nodded and quickly kissed her on the lips before I got out of the car.

I waved her off before I went inside and her face was flushed as she waved back.

I want to see her make that face some more.

But when I think about it... people are going to find out eventually.

Nobody can mind they business these days.

--